Q&A Forums

Yield Problem Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tony Gunn
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 07:48 PM
Yield Problem
I'm spraying Soythane CC on the inside of a metal roof on the house I'm building. Their website says to expect 200 bd-ft yield per case of material. I am only getting about 130 bd-ft per case (averaged over about 20 cases). I have diligently stuck to their temp recommendations; 80-90 on the foam, 80 or above for substrate and airtemp. My substrate is usually 90 or above. I also know all my "gun" settings are correct as is the output from my compressor.

I have discussed this with Soythane tech support and they indicate that most customers maintaining this rigid a control over the spray environment are getting advertised yield or higher, certainly not lower.

I have asked for other customer names such that I can compare notes, but they won't release names.

I don't want to put the forum in the middle between Soythane and myself, but

1. are there any DIY suppliers that actually make advertised yield.

2. can you suggest anything else that might help me with my yield problem.

thanks
mason
Posted: Jun 22, 2010 09:50 PM
I haven't used that specific brand of bottle sprayfoam but, I bet some of readers have. I am skeptical of a company that won't allow you to talk to their other customers who they say have achieved the results they claim

I can think of many reasons for yield variations othe than temperature such as thickness of application, type of spray technique, substrate profile, number of lifts, etc.

Anyone out there use this product and can you help out with tips on getting better yields?
Tony Gunn
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 08:21 AM
Okay, so maybe this is now becoming a spray technique thread.

Substrate profile - it's K-Panel metal roofing, consisting of a "ridge" every 9 inches. The ridge is about 1.5" across the base and 1" high at the center. Knowing that it takes volume to fill up the ridge I calculated a yield loss of 4% (a far cry from the roughly 35% loss I'm experiencing).

Number of lifts - Soythane originally recommended trying to spray it all in one lift (2.5" finished thickness). But, I'm finding that if I spray enough to get that expansion, I also get a lot of material loss dripping off on th floor before it sets up. So, I have now gone to two lifts, each about 1.25" thick.

Hopefully this additional info will help you or others make suggestions.

thanks
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 23, 2010 12:23 PM
I have never seen any of the DIY kits achieve their "theoretical yield". It is very easy to blame the applicator. Isn't that the same company that advertises the .6lb closed cell foam?

George
mason
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 09:26 AM
Your metal panel will take a lot more than 4% extra foam. I would calculate at least 15-20%. The ridges add a lot more area than you think.

But, I agree with George, seldom have I been able to obtain yields published on the bottle system kits. If I do, then I feel the foam was too hot and the physical properties would be affected.

If you install the foam in 2 separate lifts, then a high density skin forms at the substrate, between the lifts and on the top of the lifts. So, yes you lose yield that way.

As a side note, you are probably getting better physical properties by installing it in 1.5 inch lifts than in 2.5 inch lifts.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 05:37 PM
George, yes it's the same company that advertises .6 pound closed cell. I like sending him emails questioning his claims on ebay. He gets mad and writes a long response that usually says something along the line of "ebay listings are like tv, if you don't like what you see, don't watch it".
John Shockney
Posted: Jun 25, 2010 12:34 AM
And even if you get the yields that they claim you could get someone to spray it for the same price per board foot or less.

2000 board feet for $2000 for 1.5# closed cell?

And do they have all the testing done?

Airpro
Posted: Jun 26, 2010 10:47 AM
testing,,,schemesting,,,
we dont need no stinkin testing....

"sha doobie,,,splattered splattered"
the rolling foams

i wanted cheap
thats what i got
and now it costs
to f'in much
it drips it runs
it doesnt spray
crap like this
they should give a way
but youtube said
greatest thing since beer
i bought me some
and took it in the rear
burma shave

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.