Q&A Forums

Windows and Doors Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Matt Schell
Posted: Sep 01, 2007 11:17 AM
Windows and Doors
As some of you know, I am new at this. I did my first home the other day and I had trouble with the gun foam. It seems I didn't have enough room to fit the straw in around some of the windows and doors. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate it. I am not sure exactly how to create a tight home if I cannot get my gun foam around the windows and doors. Thanks for any help you can offer me.
matt
philip mullins
Posted: Sep 01, 2007 04:22 PM
hey bud. i am also a newbie and dont know huw much help i will be here. what i do is cut the dispensing tip (the straw) at a sharp angle so i can shove it in there a little better. and then just fight it. sometimes get a little messy but, what about this buisness aint. i will be interested to see what other suggestions pop up here. like i said, i fight the same problem sometimes.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Sep 01, 2007 06:26 PM
If these are builders you have a relationship with and do business with frequently, you should request they frame their rough openings larger than normal. Previously you wanted to make that opening between the window and framing as small as possible. Now with foam it doesn't really matter how big the opening is. If it is too small you can't insulate it and stop the air leaks effectively which defeats the purpose. I usually solve this problem with foam followed by a bead of silicon to seal as best as possible. I also go through the entire work area and caulk any double studs, between the top plates, and along the bottom plate and subfloor. It doesn't take long or cost me much and people are always impressed when I have a dozen empty tubes of caulk on the floor at the end of the job!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Matt Schell
Posted: Sep 01, 2007 11:23 PM
Thanks fellas
I will try cutting the tip and also talk to the contractor. I did do the caulking so I guess I got one thing right. LOL
thanks again
matt
Posted: Sep 01, 2007 11:33 PM
i tell the customer that any spaces smaller than 1/4" will be caulked only...
i have tried reduceing the tubeing down...but so far this has not been real sucessful...
my regular customers try to frame to allow 3/8 - 1/2 " or so,,,,
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 03, 2007 06:12 PM
Same as Foamdude...

oG
Huey Reed
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 11:45 PM
Some window and door companies will not allow foam around their windows and doors, I think Pella is one of them. We caulk everything we can, it's flexible, it air seals, and it doesn't void any warranties. Cost wise it's about the same.
Rob Granger
Posted: Sep 29, 2007 08:42 AM
For small cracks such as you talk about we use a foam backer rod. It comes in several sizes 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 3/4 7/8 1" and 1 1/4" and it seals very well. You can get it at ADO products 1-800-641-3904. Also check out J & R Products 1-800-343-4446. They both have insulating products such as vent chutes, wind blocks. We buy a lot from them.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.