Q&A Forums

Why are you considering a foam carreer? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 03, 2008 11:17 AM
Why are you considering a foam carreer?
Here is some food for thought directed toward those looking to "get into foam":

Ask yourself a couple of gut-check questions before jumping in.
- Is starting a foam business an opportunity or simply a possibility?
- Do I really want to do this for a living? or do I just like foam?

Sometimes I think people are in love with the idea of foam, and are willing to force their way into the market to fulfill a dream, rather than because an opportunity has presented itself. Its kind of like people who always wanted to have their own restaraunt. Restaraunt owners typically dont fail because of bad recipes, but because they got into a very competitive, high turnover, time consuming "dream business".
Spraying foam is very profitable for a reason. Its a huge risk, its very technical, and the average person cant afford the equipment.
Just because something can be made to happen doesnt mean that it was necessarily a good opportunity.
I would venture a guess that many of the successful contractors posting on this site, got into foam through an opportunity, rather than forcing a mere possibility.

Maybe Im wrong, what do some of you veteran foamers think?
g beckett
Posted: Jan 03, 2008 03:14 PM
for me, I am not looking at getting into the foam business so to speak...but in an as a person who would use this product for my own large project as well as several on going house renos it just seems to make more economical sense for me in the long run to have my own equipment.
But from my research on this site alone..with a product that is proven and in demand for the better health of a home and in a industry that is set to explode over 3000 % by 2010 (only 2 years)why wouldn't a young entrepreneur pursue this as their business of choice?
quentin
Posted: Jan 06, 2008 07:55 PM
I have several reasons for it.

1) IT has died here and foam will always be something they can't farm out overseas like my IT work has seen a lot of.

2) I work better for myself than anyone else since I have a better desire and drive for it.

3) As a disabled vet I have a great opportunity. The local base just gained $350 million in construction money from the BRAC.

4) The local housing market is still doing good even in this down turn.

5) My personality. I am the type who likes getting paid by the job and is hands on. Having me sit around for hours waiting on a call for me to do something of being given a bunch of BS make work just doesn't do it for me.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jan 07, 2008 11:25 AM
You nailed it, ND.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.