Q&A Forums

Who else has a Raider foam machine? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 03, 2009 05:53 PM
Who else has a Raider foam machine?
After a 6-month honeymoon, we seem to constantly have issues with ours. We had mucho issues with the old heat-trace hoses (which we fixed by converting to conventional hoses from Polar). Now we have pressure issues on the pump side and are trying to diagnose it. Not sure what the problem is yet. The manufacturer dropped all support for the machines and won't answer their phones. Polyproco (Polymer Processing Co).

It's a nice machine when it works....

Thanks,

oG
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 07, 2009 10:40 AM
Today, I received an email from a guy that also had hose issues on his Raider. I explained to him how to cure that problem.

For our machine, I ordered new parts (pressure relief valves, check valves, and rotary pumps) on Friday. We will use these to isolate the problem(s). If the machine can be repaired and made reliable we will post that on here too.

regards,

oG
Posted: Dec 07, 2009 11:42 AM
What are you guys using this machine for?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 07, 2009 12:14 PM
Small projects, polyurea, foam etc..

Dudley Primeaux uses one for polyurea as well.

The value of a small portable machine is real to us, but we do not like the E-10.

oG
Posted: Dec 07, 2009 05:24 PM
Is it expensive? Easy to use?

I wonder why support is so bad? Seems like they would want to help you out since you are using their equipment.

Hope you guys figure it out!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 07, 2009 11:08 PM
Their support is bad because they stopped supporting their contractor equipment. Bad choice.

oG
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 05:00 PM
Still rebuilding & re-engineering the machine. We found a problem with the electric pressure switch on monday. The small "piston" was frozen with corrosion. Cleaned it up and coated it with lubriplate - we'll see how that works.

Replaced the gear pumps and are replacing the check valves and pressure relief valves. Considering an electronic flow meter to measure material usage.

We'll fire it back up in a couple days, and I'll make a statement on here of our findings.

regards,

oG
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 08:53 PM
Completely reassembled the machine today. The pressure shut off switch worked fine. The Iso side would rise slower than the resin and the machine would shut off when the resin reached 1500 psi, and the iso was 1050. Disassembled the A-side pressure relief valve - 60% occlusion. Cleaned the fittings, tossed valve and installed new valve. Adjusted the pressures and the machine came up to pressure - 1500 both sides like it should. Will spray tomorrow - looks like we have successfully repaired/restored the machine.

The iso side coming up slower may be a result of congealed material somewhere in the Iso heater. We may fill the heater with CU6 and flush. Can't fill the system with CU6 - it will soften the viton seal on the Haldex rotary pumps.

Conclusions. There were three problems.

1) Corroded piston on shut-off switch.
2) Gunked up iso relief valve.
3) Replaced check valves.
4) Flushed machine with DOP for 35-minutes - tied small 100-mesh filter bags around the tank outlets.

Hope this helps someone.

gcw
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 28, 2009 07:45 PM
Final installment.

Today we sprayed foam with the Raider. Sprayed well. Pressures stayed around 12-1500 psi.

Mission accomplished.
quentin
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 11:34 PM
As short of a tme as you have ad he machine, and since know you take care of them, I wouldn't touch one now. No support and that is not a lot of use before all those prolems!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.