Q&A Forums

When to condition Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Oct 21, 2012 08:35 PM
When to condition
Hi Mason,
An energy auditor and I were having a converstion about conditioned / unconditioned crawlspaces.
I am of the feeling that a crawlspace should only be conditioned if there is a reason to keep it warm. If it contains plumbing piping, heat ducts, AC ducts etc.
She is of the opinion that ALL crawlspaces should be conditioned because the earth's temperature remains a constant 50+- degrees and will warm this crawlspace, with a "pillow" of warm air beneath the floor. This in turn will keep the floors warmer.
I feel warm goes to cold and if it 70 upstairs and 50 in the crawl your going to have heat loss. However if you insulate the floor properly it really shouldn't matter how cold the crawl gets.
Do you have an opinion on this?
mason
Posted: Oct 22, 2012 01:13 PM
I agree you want to seal and condition the space if it has plumbing, piping, heat ducts, AC ducts, etc.

If not, consider the following:

Is the crawlspace vented to the outside or totally enclosed? If totally enclosed then I would want to spray the walls and condition the space. If the space is vented then I would spray the underside of the 1st floor and seal it off from the crawl space.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.