Q&A Forums

What kind of insulation do you have in your home? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 04, 2007 10:10 PM
What kind of insulation do you have in your home?
I am curious to know what kind of insulation packages we contractors have in our own homes, along with any special experimentation.

1) We have a 5000 ft² home. The south half is cellulose and the other half is 3" NCFI 373 spray foam. We have two separate furnaces for each section.

2) The new section is mostly cathedral in the second story (13' high ceilings). In those 11" rafter spaces I have 5.5" average of NCFI 373 spray foam. The rest of the cavity is filled with Applegate cellulose (dry packed). Combined R-value for the cathedrals is around 58-63.

3) Our shop has 2" of spray foam on the walls and ceiling of the 5400 ft² area. The ceiling has one inch of white Thermocon.

4) The new section of shop (2500 ft²) has 3.5" of NAP/Insulstar in the ceilings. The walls have 3.5" of 1.2 Platinum (and a few other flavors that we had around at the time). The rest of the wall cavity has 3.5" average of wall -spray cellulose. The wall is a double wall with staggered studs (7" deep).

oG
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 04, 2007 10:55 PM
The house that I am currently in has fiberglass above the flat ceiling with a vented attic. The 2x4 walls have some .5lb open cell slow rise foam that I was doing some field testing on. I had good results with it, but would not offer it to customers.

The new home that I am building has 3+ inches of cc foam in the walls and 5+ inches in the roof. 5 or 6 different brands of foam, and they all sprayed a little different.

George
Dwight Thevenot
Posted: Dec 06, 2007 08:16 PM
My home is 1565 sqft. and is 3 years old. I have added 2" of 1.2# foam to the roof deck, original batts in the wall, and 6" cellulose in the ceiling. The 1.2# addition has made a BIG difference. This month compared to last years month has a difference of $50. Last year was $130 and this year was $80. That is 38% reduction with just 2" of foam at R10.

Best of luck to everyones additions.
Nutech Foam
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Dec 07, 2007 12:12 AM
Good deal.

Best of luck on your new home, Geo.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.