Q&A Forums

Very Poor yields Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
kevin smith
Posted: Feb 12, 2013 07:54 PM
Very Poor yields
Im using a 2lb spray foam. For the last 2 months im losing substantial yeilds. If a set of foam costs say $3000 dollars id like 2 make atleast $2000 off of it to stay in business. Im not even coming close to that on most jobs.Supllier says its my hose heat. New company that i purchase my foam from says the problem is when the other company set up my rig 6-7 years ago they didnt put enough heated hose wire on the hose out to my coupling. Ive got 50ft when they say it should have been 100ft.Im very frustrated. In 2 days ive sprayed 2 basements. Total of about $6200 in both jobs and sprayed 2 sets of foam to make that. Whats wrong. If this keeps up i will be out of business in no time!!!Years ago i could make a fortune at this. Mind you the price has come down alot, due to more competitors and its cold outside but seriously theres something wrong. Please Help!!!
SPFer
Posted: Feb 13, 2013 03:41 PM
What is the temperature of the substrate? Where are you located? How cold are the outside temps and do you heat the jobsite?

In the winter time we lose a fair amount of yield. We have to heat the homes we are insulating with large jobsite heaters, and concrete walls are very hard, nearly impossible, to heat.

Some manufacturers make a winter blend, which give decent yields in cold temps. We spray the Lapolla winter blend and are happy with it.

Also, $3,000 seems like a lot for a set.
kevin smith
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 07:48 PM
We are from Ontario Canada. Its SWD foam insulation. Have you heard anything about this product which is Quick- shield 112. My yeilds are brutal. Im getting about 2400-2600 bf per set.
SPFer
Posted: Feb 21, 2013 10:41 AM
I have no experience with that particular foam.
SPFer
Posted: Feb 21, 2013 10:43 AM
Do you heat the job site? What is the temp of the substrate you are spraying onto.

Spraying onto substrates that are colder than what the specifications of the foam call for kills yields.
mason
Posted: Feb 21, 2013 01:20 PM
I wrote an article called Calculating Foam Yield. You can download it at my website, masonknowles.com.
jeff henderson
Posted: Feb 23, 2013 03:07 PM
Hi there,

I have sprayed that brand in Flin Flon, Manitoba...sprayed great, yields were as advertised/calculated. We had to 'cook' the foam though...lots of heat. Lots.

Call me if you like 204-271-2139
Big cat ernie ladd
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 02:51 PM
There could be a few reasons for poor yield.the most comon is [thermal shock] A warm material hitting a very cold surface will stunt the yield, or shock so to speak.Try making a quick pass first just to get the cold surface coverd. Then make your next passes a little slower. I useually run closed cell at 125 to 130 degrees. also diffrent companies have diffrent yields , but not enough to kill you really. Personally i prefeer BAYER ,they have a good quality material. Honestly ,you just have to try a few things,trial and error so to speak. 50 ft of hose should heat up very very guick,im use to 300 and 400 ft of hose. also, if your matreial is to to hot ,it WILL burn it and get a very dead yield. it will be scorched or crunchy like. dont give up, good luck. ive ben doing this for over 15 years.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.