Q&A Forums

vaulted ceiling & single digit winters Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 12:28 PM
vaulted ceiling & single digit winters
Mason,

great forum. read it almost every day.

1955 ranch. 1000 sq ft. 75% vaulted ceiling. 25% is open attic floor. 2x8" in vaulted area. open area has 2x6" on attic floor.
2" of fiber material with kraft paper facing up towards roof deck in both areas. (4-5" gap above insulation inside vaulted area.

customer is not happy with high gas bills & house is still cold. t.v. watchers must use a blanket!

My solution: 1. pull out plaster board and spray 3" of closed cell up to roof deck.
2. pull roof deck off and spray down to plaster board.
fiber material in dumpster.
Not cheap but customer is considering it, as he is interested in the correct way.

The "I" outfit has proposed to come in and spray to roof deck via 2x4" slots.(slots as needed thru plaster board) slice through fiber insulation and fill up the cavity with open cell foam. ("I" is a somewhat well know Canadian open cell foam manufacturer)

In the last 10 days I have seen frost on a roof deck. (inside the attic)Just Wednesday we pulled fiberglass out of the bond beams on a 1999 home. fiberglass was wet! wood was wet!. North side of home. leaky construction & super cold air = condensation. spent extra time with a hot air gun to dry out. will visit and double
check the bond adhesion this week. (will use moisture meter also)

Single digit cold weather with 4-5" of open cell foam above kraft paper appears to be a disaster in the making.
Open cell has a place in the insulation world. But not in this attic situation.
need some feed back!

my solution: pull roof deck and spray 3" of foam to plaster board and floor of attic

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.