Q&A Forums

Vapor Barrier For Open Cell Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
KZybert
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 06:28 PM
Vapor Barrier For Open Cell
I am deciding between open and closed cell spray foam throughout my whole house. It is my understanding that with open cell I need a primer that is also a vapor barrier. Primers that advertise their vapor barrier are around $250 for a 5 gallon bucket--making closed cell more economical for me. The question is, would an oil based primer serve as a sufficient vapor barrier? I cannot find any information on the permeability of oil based primer. I am in the Buffalo, NY area if that helps with the answer.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
mason
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 06:53 PM
Kevin,

The vapor retarder coating would go over the foam not on the substrate. Each coating manufacturer publishes a data sheet that lists the permeance of the coating typically at 20 dry mils. Check out the permeance, it should be less than 1 perm to qualify as a vapor retarder. Some of the intumescent coatings we use over foam for fire resistance might qualify. Ask your foam supplier for their recommendations.

KZybert
Posted: Jun 08, 2017 08:33 PM
Ok, thank you very much
polyol
Posted: Jul 13, 2017 06:54 PM
In many ways you want open cell to breath, but if you need a vapor barrier you will have to coat it or spray it with something that is qualified.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.