Q&A Forums

Type of foam for garage ceiling under conditioned bathroom Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Wilkens
Posted: Oct 14, 2015 09:16 PM
Type of foam for garage ceiling under conditioned bathroom
I have a master bath in my house above our garage and in the winter the pipes running through the garage ceiling will freeze (not to mention the bath itself is cold). I currently have Batt insulation in the garage ceiling that is 20 years old and has gotten wet multiple times over the years from small floods in the bathroom above. I will be removing all the old drywall and insulation currently in the garage ceiling and was trying to determine whether Open or Closed cell foam would be best for this application. I'm not concerned about the cost, but given there's a bathroom above (with the potential to flood again), I'm getting opposite opinions from contractors on which should be used, so I was hoping an expert could help.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
mason
Posted: Oct 14, 2015 10:19 PM
Closed cell would be best if you anticipate another "flood" Closed cell SPF is approved by FEMA as a severe flood zone approved insulation due to its water resistant qualities.

Steve Wilkens
Posted: Oct 15, 2015 01:12 AM
That's what I was thinking, but others have said that using closed cell would be bad because it would trap the water in the subfloor of the bathroom causing issues there (rot, mold, etc.) and that open cell would allow it to disperse and dry out. I don't anticipate any "floods", but I don't want to worry about a toilet overflowing causing issues with the insulation decision I make. My main concern is that there's a conditioned room above the garage.

Steve

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.