Q&A Forums

Type IIB thermal barrier question, NEEP HELP ASAP!! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Benjamin Haynie
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 08:23 PM
Type IIB thermal barrier question, NEEP HELP ASAP!!
Hello everyone,

I am hoping I can get some assistance on a question I'm trying to get answered.

I work for a company that builds and rents mobile boiler plants and most of these plants are contained within a shipping container. We have just begun a job for a government agency and every piece of equipment used must be in new condition, including the container itself.

Now, here is where it gets interesting. The boiler plant will be sent a zone 6 climate area (very cold) and we must be able to insulate and heat the inside of this container well enough to prevent freezing of the boiler. I have been conducting research on insulation types and have decided that spray foam will be our best bet because of tight clearances between the interior container walls and the boiler/components.

The shipping container itself must be built to comply with Type IIB construction regulations, so to use the spray foam, I am aware that an index 15 thermal barrier must be utilized. What we would like to use for this barrier is carbon steel sheet metal that is 0.016" inches in thickness (27 gauge) as this thickness of steel sheet is identified in the code as being equivalent to using 1/2" gypsum board. It is more robust than sheet rock, and also cheaper than aluminum which is also identified in the code.

My question is this, since carbon steel can be corrosive if not coated, will it be acceptable to use it if we painted it with enamel paint or some other non-flammable coating?

Knowing this will help me out greatly! I appreciate any input anyone has on this and hope that I can get some real clarity on this.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.