Q&A Forums

try this here Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 06:07 AM
try this here
what are approved wall claddings for occupied residential construction (habitabal space) in the USA?

i dont need an interpetation as to the wording or supposed intent of the wording of...

i just am looking for a specific answer to the above question...
mason
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 08:49 AM
If you are talking about approved thermal barriers over foam. The codes specifically list
1/2 inch drywall, 1 inch masonry (plaster, concrete, etc) and metal skins with a base metal thickness of .032 inch or greater. All other cladding must be tested as a thermal barrier in accordance with ASTM E 119 or be tested as part of an assembly in accordance with room corner tests such as UL 1715, UBC 26-3, FM 4880, NFPA 286, etc.
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 07:02 PM
no mason,,
no foam in the wall,,
a 2x4x9 foot 16oc stick framed with osb sheeting at the exterior,,,,
no wireing,,,
no insulation,,,of any type
no plumbing/tubing,,
nuffin but wood....
what,,other than 0.5" gypsum drywall,, has code approveal for use as a wall cladding for this occupied space that is required to have a 15 minute thermal barrier for said code approval?
mason
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 06:17 PM
OK I got it. All interior coverings (not foam plastic) have to have a flame spread rating of 75 or less and smoke developed rating of 450 or less unless it is an exterior wall with special circumstances that would require a 25 flame spread.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.