Q&A Forums

transfering material Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Sparks
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 05:18 PM
transfering material
Are there any tips or tricks anyone can offer on the transfering or combining of the material from say two drums to one drum. There has to be a easier way of doing this,then the way i have been.
thanks for any reply
Posted: Nov 24, 2008 07:06 PM
We pump a drum almost dry using it to spray. Then recirculate the last little bit into the next drum. I figure there are a couple ounces at best of material left over. The time to recover those last couple ounces would cost more than the material itself, so I don't sweat it. Takes no more than 5 minutes to swap drums. Now if I were to try and transfer or consolidate say half a drum, I would be inclined to preheat the drum with my band warmers and then use the hydraulics on the machine to assist in speeding up the transfer. I still think you can pump a warm drum in 10 minutes or so.

Tim
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 11:05 PM
this will work
Posted: Nov 28, 2008 09:19 PM
we have found that when hammering it on we can "froth" the bottom 1/4 or so of the resin drum,,particularly when things are good and warm and the juice is thin,,,this can cause you to go off ratio if you dont notice the drum pumps fluttering to try and pick this thin material and keep on strokein...
we really see this with closed cell,,,and often with open cell as we tend to spin all the time,,and this just adds to the mechanical agitation(from the drum pump itself) and subsequent frothing of the material resulting in the drum pumps inablility to pick the material up....
we start "pumping over from the reserve drums to our main drums when we reach about 1/2 a drum or so,,we pump over slow so as not to froth the resin by dumping it to fast...we do this via 3/4" hose and the small bung...we do this while the gun is still spraying,,,no down time...we have described this in past posts in some detail..hillbilly transfer system,,neccessity is the mother of invention...
Posted: Dec 03, 2008 06:53 PM
foam dude...

are you saying that you can create a siphon from a full drum into the drum you are pumping out of?

if that would work...it would be brilliant.

anybody else used siphon methods with these materials...please explian
Posted: Dec 03, 2008 09:09 PM
Never really thought about it, but my graco transfer pumps will suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch. On several occasions, I have forgotten to open the small ventilation whole on my drum sets after sitting overnight on the a side and actually sucked the barrel in a little.

Next time I am bored, I am going to reroute the ventilation hole to my next set in line and see if it will siphon in.

Would be nice if would work. There is nothing like a clear day with no wind (and no cars around), everything working fine and have to climb down a ladder to change out drums.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.