Q&A Forums

Trailer Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
James Carlson
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 01:42 PM
Trailer
What should the minimum trailer interior height be. The reason for the question is the need for clearance to change the drum pump without hitting the roof with the pump.
Terrance Harris
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 04:47 PM
Measure drum height. Measure drum pump height. Add measurements together.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 05:05 PM
Seriously?

If you have to ask about something like this I don't think this is the business for you...
James Carlson
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 05:47 PM
dl123.. huh thought this forum is to help coach some along. Maybe you need to have a little patience. It is a simple question that requires a simple answer. 6 ft 7 ft whatever. To the ones out there that wont assume we are all idiots, will the drum pumps go through the bung hole at an angle or do they need to basically need to drop straight down. I do appreciate the respectable answers from the ones on this list that offer to help the NEWBIES along.
Mike Asbra
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 06:28 PM
For what it's worth, when I broke in this business 13 years ago this month, I didn't know how to turn a proportioner on. I was hired because I could paint a jet, not spray foam. I never had the time to attend my suppliers applicator school, but I did end up with a degree from the school of hard knocks. 13 years ago, there were not the educational resources of today. This web site and it's people are a wealth of knowledge, use it. There are no stupid questions, so ask for help. Value the old timers that tell you like it is, this trade has no 4 year apprenticeship program.
I would never want to see anyone go through the learning curve that I did. We finally got through it, and became a leader in the industry. Call me, I'll share anything I can with you, and I want nothing in return. When you succeed in time, you will be one more foam company that helps promote all our efforts.
Mike 239-322-2109
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 06:47 PM
Grogon very good question no they wont go in at an angle. Not sure the answer but can measure in the AM you can give me a call. dlAZZ cant you just play nice? Lane 605-880-1990
steven argus
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 07:48 PM
Grogon, don't pay any attention to that dill weed. I refer to him as "richard" for obvious reasons. Ask all the questions you want, even if someone thinks they are stupid.

As far as the drum pumps go, you can get a slight angle on them. They do not have to go perfectly straight up and down.

Hope this helps and keep asking questions. We are all still learning, even Mr. spray foam himself.
Terrance Harris
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 08:01 PM
To be more specific 7'6" inside height should be sufficient. However, also take into consideration whether or not you will be adding insulation to the underside of the roof, placement of roof lighting, roof mounted AC unit, placement of drums, drum pump height (different models, different heights), etc.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 09:22 PM
What you folks seem to forget is that this forum is on the internet, and so are the answers to half of these common-sense type questions...

36 seconds of Google searching would have netted

Drums are generally 34.5 inches tall...

2:1 pumps are generally 52 inches tall.

I wouldn't want any less than 90 inches in my trailer personally.

It might be harsh but this isn't a line of work for horses that can't even be led to a source of water...
Posted: Mar 27, 2011 10:56 PM
..and a nod is as good
as a wink
to a blind horse,,,

rofl
quentin
Posted: Mar 28, 2011 12:58 AM
LOL @ dude.

DL123, your not having a link to your company and also no indication of who you are while being a total idiot to others also says a lot ot those in the internet. They see you are a jerk to people who are trying to learn and it reflects on ANY possible Canadian foamers since people will be weary that you might be the one they are dealing with. Of course you seem to think you were born with all the knowledge on foam, the equipment and everything else. ANY contractor I run across with a tude like you have has always done crappy work, refused to accept responsibility for their mistakes and tried to push off anything that would work better because they just can't accept the fact that someone might know something they do not.

Don't worry, though, at this point I have figured out you are mostly just some troll and likely some kid just hoping they can get in this industry later in life but too busy in school being bullied or something so feel a need to try and show off here instead. If you need a hug that bad, let us know and I am sure someone can get you one and maybe even a teddy delivered if you want.
jeff henderson
Posted: Mar 28, 2011 11:35 PM
I always figured it was just Mason using an alias...sort of a Dr. Mason and Mr. DL123 kinda thing.

One too many basic foam questions and Mason snaps...blows off steam using his alter-ego.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 01:27 AM
It's unfortunate that common sense isn't common anymore and that pointing it out hits a nerve so well for some of you...

Sorry Quentin, I'll allow you to keep spoon feeding new folks.
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 05:18 PM
You can go shorter on the trailer if you want. Just be ready to work at the edge of your doors where you can hit the bung hole at an agle from outside.

I have 15' hoses for my drum pumps so that when we are working big jobs we can set the pumps outside to change from 1 set to the other quickly without having to move barrels around. The longer hoses make it perfect to work off the back of the trailer also, which helps in a 7' high trailer.
angus mcdougald
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 06:17 PM
I wonder why d123 wastes his time on this site....

I am no expert in foam, but pumps have different sizes.... I switched to the taller (2to1) pumps and now have to angle them slightly.... it is annoying and I am going to remove the plywood ceiling to gain the inch I need.
quentin
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 09:13 PM
You can also use diaphram pumps to save the height and I saw that diimon has a remote pump system where the head stays on the wall while the rest is used like normal. It is a system we have been thinking of switching to since you can use a shorter trailer, they are easier to move and use and also a few inches off the trailer height could help in fuel costs while driving down the road.
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 11:00 PM
Quentin, one of our rigs has the wall mounted diaphragm style pumps, but be forewarned that when dealing with cooler temps or higher viscosity chemical the stick pumps work better.
Posted: Mar 29, 2011 11:41 PM
anyone try ipms 2:1 stubby air motor yet???
forget its low clearance,,but its low,,,
george??

dll,,had any probs with the diaphrams cavitatin when it is bucu hot with the 245 resin's???
James Carlson
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will ask more questions. do any of you know the interior height of your trailer off hand,
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 08:18 PM
Our trailers are 7' high.
SPFer
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 08:34 PM
I heard those diaphram pumps break down often.

Can anyone confirm/dispute this?
Daniel X
Posted: Mar 30, 2011 09:20 PM
Haven't had any cavitation issues yet, mind you we haven't had a real hot summer with the new rig yet...

I like the idea, but I like stick pumps because I've been using them for ever...
Tyler Boehs
Posted: Mar 31, 2011 12:33 AM
Ours is 8' it's plenty but sure is nice. I not a veteran but from what I've learned we'll all still be askin ?'s in 10 years from now.
quentin
Posted: Apr 01, 2011 02:22 AM
We use stick pumps but I know airpro used to use the diaphram ones. Not sure if he still does though. You may want to ask him.
Posted: Apr 02, 2011 07:19 AM
caddis,,not much to break down,,
big rubber diaphraghm
and an air motor,,,
and a couple of balls for
check valve assemblies,,
really simple,,,,
much as is a stick pump
Posted: Apr 03, 2011 10:35 AM
re: trailers...if your an insulator,,,
consider,,the higher the better,,,
and i mean deck off the ground,,,not trailer height..
i learned the hard way,,you will drag your booty in and out of some of these sites,,you cant have enough ground clearance at the BACK of the rig,,
get your trailer with the deck above the wheels,,,yes you comprimise on trailer height,,or you will be running the eiffel tower of job trailers and grabbin every tree limb in the county...deck above wheels,,7' box,,,lots of foam,,,
oh yeah,,and while your at it,,put on twice the axels you think you need...the $$$ outlay is really not that much,,,
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 09:36 PM
Sorry I didn't chime in sooner...remember that IPM redesigned the foot valve on the old Gusmer OP232C - they call it the OP242CD and it has a clearance of 80", same air motor and packings as the OP232C - 2:1 @ 5 gpm.
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 10:13 AM
I have been using two Ingersaw-Rand metal diaphragm pumps for the past 7 years with only one minor problem and a shot of air tool oil solved it.

But I have added a 2:1 stick pump and a 3-way valve for my B-side closed cell, it’s hard to pump in the winter. And the 3-way valve makes it easy to change from open cell to closed cell and back again like we have had to on so many jobs lately.

Airpro

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.