Q&A Forums

trailer ventilation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
philip mullins
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 09:08 AM
trailer ventilation
i am building the divider wall in my trailer for the gen/compressor.i already had a 16' 10000lb trailer so this is a diy project. my question is this, how are you guys ventilating this area in ur rigs? i am looking at an exhaust fan by maxx air. it flows around 1000 cfm, wich should be sufficient. i was going to install 2 in the roof just to be sure. and some inlet vents near the floor. now, since these units are electric, i am concerned about safety. since this is where i will be storing my gas cans and all i am concerned about a potential spark from the fans. well, the possible spark doesnt concern me as much as the potential BOOM that may result. so, how do you guys do it? tx
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 10:33 AM
Put louvered vents in the walls. This will allow airflow in even with the doors closed. That fan on the genset should pull enough air through the louvered vents and across your radiator. The compress flywheel acts as a fan which will pull air through its vent.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Michael Flander
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 12:24 PM
What type of generator and compressor are you running? I ask because you mentioned that you have a 10,000 lb weight capacity, and with a generator/compressor/proportioner set-up with a divided wall, I have found that our trailers come out to around 12,000 lbs empty. Also take into consideration that 2 sets of material will weigh 2,000 lbs by themselves. Weight placement is also key, you want to keep your tongue weight legal.

In regards to your vent question, as previously stated, you can purchase louvers to solve the problem. The general rule of thumb is to have your intake vent be one and a half times the size of your exhaust vent. I can provide you with vents if you are looking for a place to purchase them.

Mike Flander - Endisys
763-428-5075
philip mullins
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 01:49 PM
tx for the quick response. i have 2 generac 15 kw units, 401lbs each. i will prob only need one in the trailer, depending on wich air compressor i go with. i am watching a kaeser sm11 screw drive with dryer (ta11)on ebay. compressor wieghs 377lbs, dryer wieghs 180lbs. i thought i had a 10 horse gas compressor but, after driving 800 miles to pick it up, the lady backed out on me. good thing i was picking up the gens a couple counties over, or i would still be in jail,lol. so now if i can find a good deal on a big compressor i will run a guardian. if not, i'll get a smaller compressor and run an e20.

i like the max air vents cause i worry about water getting in. plus they look cool. and i have not found where to get the louvres, till now. i just dont wanna blow up!

my gens are on wheels. and i could get a gas compressor on wheels also and solve all my problems. but, the nazis round here are rediculous. i am worried that they will steel the graphics off the side of the trailer if i take my eye off of it for too long!

i also have some other gens 8k and smaller. i will use one of those for the compressor if i can.

i not so concerned about the wieght. i think 10k is plenty. the rig i was looking at was a 16 footer like mine but, 7k. and he a generac 15k and a wheel barrow style gas compressor in the front room, an e20, a small work bench, dryer, hoses,etc... and said he could haul 3 sets no prob. i will only have 2 sets at a time till i get a new motor for the box truck. then i will use it to store/ deliver my sets. tx againguys.
Michael Flander
Posted: Mar 05, 2007 02:38 PM
Does not sound like weight should be an issue. I am used to dealing with larger diesel generators that have 80+ gallon fuel tanks on them, and can weigh in excess of 2500 lbs.

Good luck!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.