Q&A Forums

Trailer Piping Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tony Di Bratto
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 12:36 PM
Trailer Piping
Question regarding the hoses used to outfit trailers with spray foam rig equipment. What are the hoses made of that are used to outfit a trailer in order to get foam to the proportioner and also recirc?

Thx
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 10:46 AM
I don't know what they are made of,(poly something) but the recirc hose doesn't need to be a high psi hose. The hose from the drum pumps to the proportioner is about a $1 per ft at the hardware store, 150psi hose is all I think you need. You can also hard pipe most of the supply to the proportioner, with just a short hose at the pumps to allow flexibility.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 12:25 AM
I would recommend higher psi hose. The supply hose from the pump to the machine should be 300psi working pressure or higher. My compressor has a max psi of 145psi. The pumps are IPM 2:1 pumps. I run 90 psi of air to them so 180psi of fluid pressure to the machine. Should my air regulator malfunction I could put 145 psi to the pumps and result in 300 psi of fluid pressure. You don't want ISO or Poly spraying all over your trailer.

Recirculation lines should be 2000psi lines. If you have you machine set to a high spray psi (like 1200-1500) and need to bleed a little pressure you will be putting that load on the recirc. line. Also you may want to recirculate your fluid with the help of the hydraulics and that would certainly put higher fluid pressure on the lines.

The price for my 3000psi hydraulic hoses was $4.50 per foot. I have no worries. And make sure it a moisture lock hose or you will have problems with the ISO.

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 12:03 PM
Not to mention if your footvalve in the pumps fail and backfeed into the supply system...

300 psi minimum supply hose, 500 psi minimum recirc line. But keep in mind that Tim is correct, if your recirc line hardens or plugs you could easily apply 2000 psi or more to that hose, so high pressure hose is your best bet.
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 01:50 PM
revving an old thread because I have some helpful information to add.

I spoke to a hose manufacturer about making hoses for me. I have an airplane and often we can get parts custom made cheaper than the air craft companies want to sell to us. Much like Graco charging 10x more for their parts.

It really doesn't matter whether you get 150 psi or 300 psi hoses as hose manufacturers are required to make the houses 8x stronger than the highest stated pressure as a safety margin. So that 150 psi rated hose has to withstand 1200 psi for a period of time for testing purposes. It was also rated at that PSI with 180 d F.

If you ever want to buy a generic part and ensure it is the best quality then simply request a milspec part. That requires it is even higher than the F.A.A. standards for airlines. It is military specification.

For more information about this google U.S. standards and you will find there are other standards which will be useful.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.