Q&A Forums

Tired of seeing lumpy foam? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 04:22 PM
Tired of seeing lumpy foam?
You boys out there tired of looking at other contractors shoddy jobs online and in magazines or in the field?

Check out this if you have a facebook account.

You'll be amazed at the pride and craftsmanship in what we do day in and day out.

Just started it so not to many pictures yet but more to come with diffent types of applications.
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 05:43 PM
How about some BEFORE pictures, it says that you "profiled" the foam before the finish went on... so what did it look like prior to that?

This reminds me of EIFS systems that use expanded polystyrene, except you're obviously using 2 or 3 lb here...
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 05:57 PM
I can get you some before pics if you want cheif. All spray applied directly to the sub strate. No polystyrene used here.Kind of hard to lay down 3lb on a 6'6 wall with out the runs though.

You like what you see dont you
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 06:15 PM
I'm not confused, I know what I'm looking at, and I know what you mean about 3lb. running on walls, I was quite surprised the first time I used 3lb. in a crawl space...

I just have a hard time seeing a huge market for this application... is that an acrylic finish over the foam? Do you use synthetic lath or is the finish something else?
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 09:35 PM
We spray roughly 200 homes like this per year for the last 16 years that I have been involved with this company.

Foam elbow,elbow grease,common sense,pride, desire for excellence,elastomerics,granules
maurice richter
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 08:29 AM
Schares95, If I found your correct Facebook account, then yes, it does look good. Is it the house with brown siding, and a light colored spray foam then brown-ish pebble finish?

Advice: Add some more information to your FB page so visitors can verify who you are, where you are, and how to contact you. Same thing here for when a visitor clicks on your name and sees that your profile can only be seen by your friends. (Both SprayFoamMagazine.com and Facebook are advertising tools for you aren't they? :-) )

Please provide more information or more detailed picture on what a homeowner sees - is that finish similar to an epoxy/pebble finish I have seen on some pool decks?

Is your sprayfoam+coating system compatible with "Frost Protected Shallow Foundations"? (Google it,some sprayfoam contractors may find a new market.)
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 17, 2011 08:39 PM
Yes you found the correct page.Thanks for the compliments.We do not use sf.com or fb.com for advertisement.
Just thought I would show some of projects and get some feedback.
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 03:05 PM
Dl123 your before and after pictures are up if you want to look
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 06:16 PM
maurice
way back a few years we sprayed a few
frost protected shallow foundations,,,here in zone 5,,,
i was new to the building trades thingy and thought,,now this is some crazy schizzle...
they still function fine today,,,
dude
maurice richter
Posted: Apr 19, 2011 07:48 PM
As you may have seen, the insulation solution to my 100+ year old crawlspace is to FPSF the existing foundation. Hoping that sprayfoam can be used to discourage bugs from crawling up under the foam. And hoping to find a covering or coating to make it look good. Schares95 project looks like it could work.
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 12:05 PM
Good Job Guys on the Foundation Insulation. Good work like that makes all of our jobs easier.

Keep up the good work!

Steve
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 12:06 PM
Silicone or Acrylic on the Elastomeric?
Rodney Schares
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 04:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments Steve.You guys have any work this this in your area?

Coatings are acrylic but no more secrets to give away!!!
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 09:07 PM
lol, we are spraying on exterior walls more and more these days for the state on a sort of quasi air barrier. Not quite to the ABA Specs, but close. The specs are 2 Pound and is very easy to make flat as long as you stand back 3' or better. They are applying stucco and bricks to the exterior, so we only have to have 3/8" tolerance.

Yours looks like 1/4" or better, which the 3 Pound will help with. Granules do a great job of not showing any variations as long as they are minimal.

3 Pound would be much easier for the walls as opposed to the 2 Pound that we are specd into, but until I saw your FB Page, I never really thought about coating and granules.

We laid down about 80,000 sq. ft of 3 Pound with 3.75 gallons per square silicone and granules since February. We are very use to termination points for foam and usually have to spray up to 2x then counterflash with metal. So my crew and I are pretty use to detail work almost as a matter of fact.

I really like this, just not sure if there is a market for it in Louisiana yet or will I have to invent one.

All in all, great job. I love to see good work out there whether it is my competitor or someone I have never heard of. Bad work is very difficult to overcome whether we do or our competitors do.

Keep up the good work!

Steve
Daniel X
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 07:23 PM
We spray a ton of exterior too, mostly between z-girts onto Densglass and then cladding goes over it, but also walls with brick ties and then a block or brick wall goes in front of the foam...

Those crawl spaces look quite familiar, lol, they all look the same after a while. I've actually done the floor and walls/joist ends of a crawl space w/ 3lb. as part of a radon remediation that some consultant came up with...

The smoothing of your spray job obviously goes better if the foam is nice to begin with, you must use an electric tool to further the finish though?
Mike Meades
Posted: Jun 27, 2012 04:07 PM
Does anyone know the trick to stop the "bb's" from forming and having an overall shiny finish to the foam?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.