this G-man says a CC foam job is bad. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Feb 28, 2012 10:25 PM
this G-man says a CC foam job is bad.
mark moyer
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 07:16 AM
....wanna start lineing em up????
take a walk around the world and see what is happenin to your career...

in 10 short years it is no longer a career,,it has been reduced to another hammer swingin job,,and thats what is comin out the other end of the hammer,,,

watching price per square foot drop as the lawn care crowd quotes against themselves....against their future,,their childrens college fund,,their beer drinkin money on the lake for that matter,,,
we were able to command the prices for closed cell foam in 2005 that we are getting now...
ah,,,aint you proud,,,aint the supply chain proud???,,its,,,im gettin 3 bids and let em beat each other up for the work,,,

ah folks,,,we have friggin drywallers applying foam as fast as they can cover it up!! great formula,,for them...

so you got a gc complainin,,,
keep his phone number,,,keep the installers phone number,,next time some one calls for a competitive quote,,decline,,tell them you would like to bid the "job" and give them those 2 numbers...

education
education
education before hand stops 95% of the biatch
afterthehand...
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Feb 29, 2012 04:41 PM
I posted that by accident.
the reasons the G-man gave were so stupid, that I didn't bother to get some input on it.
"unvented attics have moisture problems"
"An incomplete cavity fill insulation system (3 inches of Closed Cell) will cause severe convection looping and energy losses."
See what I mean? Stupid.
hey dude, I hear ya on the price thing.
I can see commercial stuff going to the low-ballers but I"m thinking that if a guy keeps up good relationships with his gc's that he can weather the onslaught of price-choppers that will, and already, are flooding the market. They won't survive. the only questions is, who will be left after the chopping stops?
-Foamilyman
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 03:43 AM
you can lead a horse to water,,,
but you darned sure cant make it drink...

these are the builders you dont want to waste your time selling to...he obviously isnt keeping
up with his trade...
aint worth the salt in your tears,,,,

you missed it,,low ballers dont bother me a bit,,if you call and want a competitive bid i tell you i wont bid,,,end of topic,,i wont bid against my future...you will ALWAYS find cheaper than me..you have to WANT ME,,,
i will give you a complete system bid,,,,quality install by full time foamers...we will not be the cheapest,,,i will not play in that market..they can have it,....
their workers are unhappy,,,their workmanship shows it...the product they are putting in the walls not at all what it should be,,,frequently in more ways than 1...lol...,,,wonderful..eh,,,
and if these saps have transitioned to low ballin commercial,,gawd,,have at it,,,that mess is a chinese fire drill and i wont play in there for double residential,,,just to unhook the trailer,,,it is always a cluster,,,so now we are going to give the aia cheep foam there to since its being specified in all the undesireble places for insulation and idiot foamers are lowballin thinkin oh baby im in the big time now...just sayin,,,

i be long gone before the choppin starts...gonna start a lawn care business
gonna go back to spreadin cellulose insulation on new lawns to get em started cause it holds water real good,,,, stabilized...medicated...
but i dont sell against mold either...and water likes mold...wait a second...how much water goes into those injection shaving cream tanks and you pump it where??? oh my gawd,,,, spf=polyurethane

poke salad annie....
gators got your grannie,,,chomp chomp chomp
mason
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 03:49 PM
I wrote an article a few years ago called Sprayfoam Myths. The unvented attic causing moisture problems was at the top of the list. Haven't heard the one about convective currents, but all you have to do is demonstrate that the foam keeps the cavity space the same temperature, thereby eliminating convective loops.
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 04:06 PM
I hear ya, Mason.
I remember that article now that you mention it.
Thanks for reminding me.
I got the deal taken care of with the customer, turns out he just wanted to have the best insulation system he could have so now we're doing CC as the base and topping off with OC.
in case people are wondering, a "G-man" is a government man, aka, an energy auditor from the government.
As far as convection looping in a CC foam wall, the question has to be answered: "Where is the cold air coming from?"
-Foamilyman

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.