Q&A Forums

Things that tick you off on the job Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:01 PM
Things that tick you off on the job
I think we all have those things on the foam job that tend to get under our skin. We are a unique breed and I thought it would be fun to share with each other the little things that only we could understand.

Biggest for me would be a spray pattern that I just can't get right. You know when it's heavy on one side and you just can't seem to get it right.

All day of overhead spraying

customer that walks around poking the foam to see how thick it is. This has happened twice.

Running a barrel empty and having to bleed the hose. You'd think after 4.5 years I'd learn but I still find myself up on the scaffold thinking, I can make just to the end of this section.....

Anyone else have this stuff happen to you? Don't tell me I'm the only one.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 05:46 AM
Biggest for me would be a spray pattern that I just can't get right. You know when it's heavy on one side and you just can't seem to get it right.
look at temps and pressures...as the day warms up heats rise and pressures rise..keep your pressures and heats to a setting that helps maintain a decent pattern...keep your chambers orrifice clear of glaze..try changing chambers every 4 hours...

All day of overhead spraying
sucks,,but builds charachter (had to repy somehow :) )

customer that walks around poking the foam to see how thick it is. This has happened twice.
sounds like the competition or someone is "banging foam" for being an irregular profile...maybe rightfully so..we have some newbees that try to pass off 2"-4" in a 2x6 wall as OK...they need to bring it up to design spec rvalue..or what ever you spec'd the foam at in your contract to spray( and have in writing )
does anyone remember the "overfluffed fiberglass applications"? we do not need to invite regulatory mandates for depths and rvalues..but if the shoddy applications continue the FTC or someone will jump in and bang us good..thats what we need,,more government..

Running a barrel empty and having to bleed the hose. You'd think after 4.5 years I'd learn but I still find myself up on the scaffold thinking, I can make just to the end of this section.....
when i get out 1400 strokes the hired man is in the truck watching the drums and counters..
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 05:57 AM
A pigsty job site...

Mud..i hate friggin mud

A jobsite that is "ready to spray" but isnt ready to spray..other trades still working,,common wall to garage not sheeted..
inspection not in place

Truss heels blocked by others that arent blocked well enough to allow foam application

guys that park their cars/pickups right up front
and act like it is an impossition to get them to move so you can get your rig in place...

the hired man not showing up on time...

mud,,i hate mud (too perrty to get muddy)
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 03:13 PM
Getting stuck.

People that say "Does this have formaldehyde in it?"

A Hose section that fails on the jobsite.

People who move orange cones and pull into a spray area (serves them right).

245fa's boiling point.

gcw
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 06:01 AM
People that say "Does this have formaldehyde in it?"
if it aint the general or the home owner...smile and say.."well of course it does!,,i like to spray toxic foam" and keep spraying away..close to em if you can..
makes the morons think about the stupidity of their statement....
Posted: Apr 01, 2006 11:23 PM
Customers that run around with the tape measure before the job is even done. Do they ever stop to think that we might come back and hit the low spots when we get to the end of section

Anyone ever had there gun stick wide open. fun fun
Posted: Apr 02, 2006 01:56 PM
Ha!! Yes, I have had my gun stick wide open. On two occasions. First one I was spraying a metal shop for a farmer, it was like my second insulation job ever. The over spray was built up on the gun handle and it made the trigger stick, I didn't know what the heck was going on. Second one was just a couple years ago, I was spraying a post frame building for a guy and the air hose broke off the gun, I must of hit it onsomething. The trigger was stuck wide open. I just tried to keep spraying while my help ran to the trailor and grabbed the nut driver to shut the valves off. Made a little mess but was able to hide it.

It will certainly wake you up!
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 03, 2006 09:34 AM
The Probler is the easiest gun to deal with a "stuck trigger." Just turn off the quarter-turn ball valves and that's it.

How about putting the resin pump into an Iso drum, and vice versa. I did it once in 1986, and my son did it in 1998. I guess each person does it once. :).

gcw
Mike Glace
Posted: May 06, 2006 11:16 PM
You hit the spot i hate bad patterns nosey customers, off ratios, and most of all a company that sells the worst closed cell ever, im sure u know who im talking about, so no u r not the only one...also cross overs on your brand new hose when u let your help spray, ill never do it again!
Also last but not least pour foam jobs, I hate them more than anything but they pay nice and nomatter how much u explain to the customer how messy they are they still complain how much dust there is especially with plaster walls..

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.