Q&A Forums

Thermal Barrier/Ignition Barrier in attic/crawl Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
ERIC NELSON
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 01:27 PM
Thermal Barrier/Ignition Barrier in attic/crawl
Product is ICYNENE LD-C-50
Product is installed in the attic into the rafter spaces. No HVAC equipment or floors. 2 small access openings with lights. Does this require a ignition barrier? I am assuming the the 1/2" drywall ceiling below is providing the thermal barrier to offer the protection for SPF in the attic.

Product is installed in the crawl space on the concrete walls. HVAC is located in thr crawl along with water heater. The space in the crawl can easily be accessed through door and be used for storage only. The SPF would need to be covered with a ignition barrier at minimum.

Correct interpertation?
mason
Posted: Dec 14, 2011 06:57 PM
No, you need an ignition barrier in the attic and thermal barrier in the crawl space if it is used for storage. circumstances. There doesn't have to be any equipment in the attic, just access to the space

But, there are exceptions to the ignition barrier rule. In order to find out if the foam can be installed without an ignition barrier or thermal barrier in specific applications, download their ICC Evaluation Report. It will let you know if they passed fire tests that exempt them from the prescriptive ignition or thermal barrier requirements
ERIC NELSON
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 11:16 AM
Thank you for your quick response. Would you be available to discuss this matter further via telephone? There seems to be ALOT of discussion on this type of insulation and ways of interperting the code(s). I want to make sure that I have a good grasp on what is alowed and not allowed. Thanks
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Dec 15, 2011 07:16 PM
There are some posts on this forum that cover this very topic in great detail. Make sure you have the ICC-ES report for each foam, as they are all different. They are available for free online.
mason
Posted: Dec 17, 2011 08:34 PM
I was traveling yesterday and didn't get back to the forum until now. Call me at 571-239-5221. I will be traveling again on Monday

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.