Q&A Forums

Temp Backing for Open Stud Walls Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ed Phillips
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 07:28 AM
Temp Backing for Open Stud Walls
What do you guys do for temporary backing on open stud walls that need to be sprayed before Sheetrock is up? IE: garage Separation Walls, Bathroom Sound Insulation, Etc.?

I am thinking hanging Poly from the top plate then having a helper hold a sheet of plywood or something else flat against it while I spray then removing the Poly.

I'm sure there are some inventive ideas if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks
Ed
Phillips Foam Insulation
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 09:58 AM
I had a builder install typar as a backing and then osb temporarily to spray against. However, he removed the osb very shortly after spraying and as the foam cooled, it shrank. This caused the whole wall to be pulled out of plumb and the doorway to become disfigured. It did not break a single bond between the studs however. I think I would caution against early removal of the plywood!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
travis fails
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 10:30 AM
I tried roofing paper and holding a board behind but the foam would still get between the paper and studs. So now I try to get the builder to have the sheetrockers there when I am finishing up. Particularly for sealing off a garage so I can also spray the ceiling of the garage to seal off from the attic.It is alot easier this way you have no problems and do not have to return to the job to fix something later.
Energy Tech Solutions Inc. - Chuck Costa
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 11:03 AM
Tar Paper

Hang it tight (lots of staples down studs 1inch apart)
Ductape the seams !
Spay it!
Scarf it!
They sheet rock over it!
Ed Phillips
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:10 PM
I found the best solution so far is a product called the Shoot.

http://www.shop.insulationmaterials.com/category.sc;jsessionid=E0E4E7B4201CB103444259AB84B500D9.qscweb26?categoryId=5

Not the cheapest but so far the best thing for fast installation and professional looking. They also have great recessed light covers.

http://www.shop.insulationmaterials.com/

Ed

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.