Q&A Forums

Tank spray foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Seumas
Posted: Oct 13, 2015 07:46 PM
Tank spray foam
We are spraying some tanks and I'm wondering what is the best way to mask around areas that have pipe work coming out? We are trying to mask from the flange back to the tank to keep a smooth/clean edge. Also what is the best way to spray the top of a cone shaped tank?
Thanks,
Seumas
mason
Posted: Oct 13, 2015 08:44 PM
Tape
mason
Posted: Oct 13, 2015 08:57 PM
Tape the flange 1 inch beyond where you want to spray the foam. Then tape some plastic around the whole flange using 8-12 inch wide strips of plastic. After you spray, use a cross cut saw to cut a clean line down to the tape. After that you can use a butcher knife or other sharp long bladed knife to make that clean edge you want. Trim it up with a sur form blade or curry comb.

Is it a horizontal or vertical tank?

If horizontal, spray the ends first then go to the top of the tank spraying foam back and forth from one end to the other, tie in to the end pieces that you have already sprayed. Then get a ladder or scaffold to do the upper sides. And from the ground do the lower sides and finally the bottom.

With a vertical tank, start at the top, then do the sides from a scaffold going up and down and tieing in to the top. Do the bottom last

Don't make too long a pass (long passes can cause the foam to roll over resulting in tree bark texture. Take your time, spray 1 inch per pass, fill in if you have a low spot or valley between passes (making sure you spray at least a 1/2 inch pass).

It helps to have someone watching your passes that can tell you to either shorten up or lengthen your passes.
Seumas
Posted: Oct 14, 2015 03:26 PM
Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it! We are spraying vertical tanks, so I will spray them from the top down. We have done a few from the bottom up and we get some fall out that lands on the foam below.

I'm not quite following you on the masking. What is a cross cut saw?

I will explain the masking a little better from my end. We have a 24" diameter pipe that comes out of the tank and then has a flange that is attached to the end of the pipe and its diameter is around 30". The flange is about 7" away from the tank and we want to keep foam off the flange and the 24" pipe while keeping a clean as possible line against the tank.
Seumas
Posted: Oct 14, 2015 04:21 PM
Also what is the best way to spray the top of the tank? Work from the outside towards the center?

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.