Q&A Forums

submitting bids Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Eric Sparks
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 03:02 PM
submitting bids
when bidding a job for a home or steel building do you subtract for windows and doors. . do you do anything differant when submitting a bid for a steel building. what other things should you consider when bidding a job. i had a request for paint over the closed cell foam how do you price that. thanks for any help
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 07:55 PM
We only bid the "sprayable area" (subtract for windows, doors, skylights, headers etc) We do NOT subtract for studs. Part of a our package includes soft foam in all door and window jambs, and caulk between double studs and rafters, between top plates and between the bottom plate and the floor.

The steel may require some prep work if there is a oily residue left from the assembly process. If so I would try and get the contractor or owner to handle cleaning it. If not price it for the time to clean it with a water/vinegar solution.

The only paint we would install would be a paint for thermal/ignition barrier purposes. Price it at cost per square foot for materials plus your labor to install it!
Eric Sparks
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 03:49 PM
thanks for responding and your time. is your pricing differant for say a house versus a steel building. how do you compensate for the pricing on the steel building part since it requires more material to achive the same thickness as say a flat surface.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 06:10 PM
On a house I subtract the windows and doors and then for closed cell I figure 15% waste, oc 25% waste. I have found that usually the windows and doors are somewhere between 15-25%. So if I were to do a quick bid I just figure the size of the walls x thickness of foam. We spray some paint with a airless sprayer but its rare.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.