Q&A Forums

Step One Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 09:18 AM
Step One
I am a small roofing contractor that serves SE KY and NE TN. We have worked around SPF for years and have even subbed out some SPF as well as had it installed in my home. Have been considering it for years and now I'm serious. I'm actually trying to sell a few roof jobs to get me in the business and plan on doing residential insulation as well.

Are there any smaller contractors that do both? I don't plan on giving up the conventional roof systems. I firmly believe that there is no one fix all roof solution although some are very versatile.

I purchased a new 3/4 ton crew cab with Duramax/Allison so that I can pull some trailers. Plan on starting in a gooseneck. How many guys purchase a generator right off the bat? How necessary is it to be self contained?

How long did it take to get comfortable with your installations? Did you just learn from the one day set up training or did you go for the short schools provide by the manufacturers?

How did you decide on a manufacturer or do you continue to shop around? I know of a few and want to make sure I pick one that stands behind the product and considers the installer their customer.

How do you estimate production? I know how to put together the numbers for materials but we have very little experience with spraying. What's the average install area and time for a day? Let's say you have a 40,000 sf roof. Are you using a 3 or 4 man crew? How many hours are you on the clock and how many hours are spray production? How much area are you able to cover during that time?

Same with residential. If you are spraying 12,000 sf of foam in the walls and ceiling, what is the average production. Maybe the best question for both is how many man-hours per board foot is the average install?

Would anyone out there be willing to be somewhat of a mentor for a "Newby" like me to help answer questions and advise on how to get up and running successfully? These forums are great for help but I'd like to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone who may be able to talk me thru some situations.

I look forward to the ride.
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 10:57 PM
what's your email address?
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:57 PM
Home: Chandler34@charter.net
Work: mcciroofs@charter.net

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.