Q&A Forums

Steel Building Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Matt Schell
Posted: Jul 29, 2007 12:16 AM
Steel Building
I am new to spraying foam and am doing an estimate for the roof line of a steel building. The customer is going to insulate the walls with batt insulation. He is concerned about condensation on his equipment and in his shop. I am not sure what to tell him. I would appreciate any help.
matt
Posted: Jul 29, 2007 01:06 PM
I am not exactly sure what your customers delimma is with the condensation of equipment, however I would strongly suggest that you apray the walls of the structure as well as the roof. Is this building going to be conditionied space or left at ambient temperature?

Kenneth
Matt Schell
Posted: Jul 29, 2007 02:52 PM
the customer is going to keep it at about 40 degrees during the winter and bump it up to 50 or 60 when working in it. I could not convince him to let me do the entire thing. I am going to give him an estimate for both the ceiling and the walls but he only wants one for the ceiling. I am just not sure what will happen with only spf on the roof line.
Posted: Jul 29, 2007 03:30 PM
wow, where are you located? outdoor temperatures must be really cold there.
Matt Schell
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 01:13 AM
I am in the northern part of South Dakota. It does get very cold here in the winter. So cold that I don't know if I will be able to spray foam for the entire winter. Am still a little confused about the condensation thing. thanks
matt
John Shockney
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 10:12 PM
Hi Matt,
I'm a HVAC contractor as well as a spray foamer.

The biggest thing that will cause a condisation problem in a shop building is a non-vented heating system!!

This will add humidity rasing the dew point above 40 deg.

Also what type of insulation or how much insulation only plays a small part in the management of mosture problems. You can't make any guarantees when it comes to condisation, unless you are selling the whole package including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and dehumidication.
hope this helps
thanks
John
Airpro
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 01, 2007 02:16 PM
If you spray foam the whole building, it will remain at about 40° in the winter without any heat added. This assumes that the slab perimeter is insulated in some fashion.

og

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.