Q&A Forums

Spraying Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 03, 2006 08:21 PM
Spraying
could someone advise as to gel time I hope I have used the right term. when spraying .5 pound foam into the back edges of the stud it has a tendancy to run before it starts to expand out which means that i have no control over the foam which means that i leave gaps or i have to spray to much in which causes the foam to com way past the stud which is wastage. when i look at videos from USA it appears that as soon as the foam hits the surface that it dosent run but sits there and starts to expand. When i spaek to the manufacture they say that the gel time is quick. About 3secs @ 20 degrees and when it is heated to about 50 degrees it should be instant. But Iam not finding this to be the case. Do I just keep going back to them to say that the gel time has to be quicker.
Hope someone can help.
this e-mail has been sent from australia.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 03, 2006 09:43 PM
I assume that your temps are celsius? Try 55 degrees. Did you get the foam from the states? How old is it? If it is more than 6-8 months old, you may need to add som catalyst. I prefer a longer gel time so that I can get a thicker pass. Here is some video of me spraying with the temps around 45 celsius. Hope this helps.

George
Posted: Dec 04, 2006 07:28 PM
George,
Thanks for the reply and especially the video. The product is australian made and mantactured recently. If I could spray like your video i would be happy. At the start of your video you show that you make a about five passes over the same section. I couldnt do that many passes with out the foam running aspecially in the corners. Your corners look like they are about to run near the end of the 5th pass but it still holds it position before it starts to expand out. As you mention is it a matter of adding more catalst so that the foam will stick to the surface.
thanks for your help.
Posted: Dec 10, 2006 05:55 PM
Hey George, what kind of foam are you spraying? I thought it said R Tite, but I cant find that on the net. Where can I find info on it. We are spraying Sealection, seems to be going ok, but also want to know whats out there. Looks like our rep is going to start stacking others on top of us, while we are just getting a good start. I suppose its a free country, so I just aswell know what else I can spray so when he does it , I can move on to.
Posted: Dec 11, 2006 12:20 AM
if you are running you are to cold...
bring up the heats...as hot as you can with the .5 lbs till you just see it "sagging back at the top of the rise"...back temps down 3-5 degrees from this point till "sag" stops for maximal yield and best spraying performance..
you should be "creaming" when you hit the wall with very little sag...
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 12, 2006 06:38 AM
JP, I am using "R"tite. They are a small manufacturer out of New Orleans. We hope to have the website up by the first of the year. It is a nice foam, good yield and price, we just need to get some more marketing material.

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.