Q&A Forums

spraying technique for .5 lb Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Arville Brown
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 04:38 PM
spraying technique for .5 lb
whats the best spraying technique for .5 lb foam ive been spraying half the cavity at a time really dont like the way it looks seems to be geting voids in foam or im letting air into the foam. anyone got any suggestions
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:17 PM
rigid will solve the problem :)

sorry,

og
Terry Adams
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:23 PM
We start at the bottom with a fast left to right motion going up overlapping maybe 25%. Not sure what you mean about letting air into the foam. Are you blowing it off the backing? Got to move fast with open cell.
Arville Brown
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:29 PM
have no problem spraying rigid. is it better to spray side to side or up & down with .5 lb
Arville Brown
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 10:32 PM
i though i might be blowing air holes in the foam
Terry Adams
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 11:00 PM
side to side for me
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:28 AM
While I am not a sprayer myself Air Tight, I have sprayed and have witness many very good contractors spray. They all seem to have a common theme with open cell, very fast side to side movement with roughly a 25% overlap moving upward as mentioned above...

Hope this helps,
Mike Flander
Arville Brown
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 01:41 PM
thanks for the input
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 07:19 AM
can you imagine i do it differently...
we spray the .5s just like the 1.9s
we spray from stud to stud spraying verticaly...
for us this gives us a much smoother profile with out the "ribs" of a horizontal pass,,,
this also allows us to "turn the gun" hard at the stud face on the first and last stroke to get a good glaze on the stud...this seems to help keep the "gaps at the stud edge" from appearing,,which we thought was all to common in the horizontal pass,,,
we also feel the horizontal pass makes it more difficult to "feather out to an acceptable depth" due to the horizontal foam "ribs/bars"...ie: it reduces our waste when makeing additional passes due to the more uniform profile....
this is what works for us,,,
probably just what we're used to...
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:12 AM
I also prefer to spray parallel to the the studs/rafters. Making sure that you get a good spray of liquid material on the sides of the studs.

George
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:17 PM
To clarify Foamdude, you do one straight line up a stud and one down, or does your pattern cover the entire width of the stud?

Also, I know there are some great video's out there of spraying techniques, maybe it would be worthwile to compile some of these into one spot.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 05:56 PM
mikey...
i am left handed,,,i start at the left stud..
i spray about a 3' tall/long throw,usually about 3 strokes at the stud before i move 50% the width of my pattern for 2 strokes..then 50% move and 2 strokes and then i usually will be at the right stud which gets 3 strokes with a hard pass at the stud face...move to next bay and continue on down the wall...

(equal strokes at equal rate with equal overlap across the wall face will give a profile of uniform depth or perty darned close)

ergonomic's 101: when the foamdude gets down,,,he stays down...HUH? when shooting the bays down at the floor level,,,i stay down at the floor level for the entire length of the wall...when i stand up i work from the previously shot level to the level of my mid chest across the entire wall...then when i raise my gun arm to do the upper walls i keep my arm locked out and raised for the entire length of the wall...
less up down = less energy expended...less strain on the back...less chance of repetitive motion injury to the shoulder by reduceing the frequency of the raising and lowering of the arm...

did you notice the "mid chest" reference in the above schpeel...
to keep your booty out of the local orthopedist and physical therapist office remember:
boobs to knees...you should never raise your arm above the mid chest level particularly with a load...(boobie level to you george!ah..boobies...)to avoid impingement of the shoulder bursea and/or rotator cuff on the undersurface of the boney acromion process of the shoulder...so...
i instruct my sprayers,,,and subscribe myself to the technique of spraying from my mid thighs to mid chest to avoid repetitive injury and to reduce fatique...
and my foam looks better too...when you reach your pattern widens and thins..
Michael Flander
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 09:26 AM
Booby level... is that a technical term?!? Hahah...

Thanks for the tips dude!
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 10:18 PM
Foamdude,
What gun are you spraying and what type of tip?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 06:30 AM
newbee...
we spray with fusion guns...air purge
we pretty much spray everything with an 04, although we have used an 02 recently...

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.