Q&A Forums

Sprayfoam directly over drywall ceiling? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dionisio Torres
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 03:56 PM
Sprayfoam directly over drywall ceiling?
Hello everyone,

I have a customer who is building his house and is requesting 0.5/lb spray foam to be directly sprayed over the installed drywall ceiling (attic side of course). He wants to seal the real air-conditioned space by doing this. I have never done this but remember hearing from a "student" at "foam school" that the spray foam might shrink and warp the drywall. I have sprayed interior walls before for soundproofing purposes and never had a problem. Any problems anybody might foresee with this??
mason
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 06:12 PM
Open cell foam will not warp of distort drywall. Closed cell foam can but it is not a typical occurance and is caused by a misapplication of foam or an off-spec material.

I have closed cell foam sprayed to the attic floor (over the drywalled ceiling) of my town home in northern Virginia. No problems after 7 years.
Dionisio Torres
Posted: Nov 24, 2009 06:27 PM
Thanks for the reassurance Mason
stan seidel
Posted: Nov 26, 2009 09:16 AM
Please read the (warped ceiling post) that I presented to this forum about 2-3 weeks ago.
the product was heat lok soy from a company called demelic.
I am stuck with this problem demilec or the company that applied it refuse any responseability.
Corey Degetaire
Posted: Dec 09, 2009 09:39 PM
I have applied 1/2# oc foam in this application, no problems...
philip mullins
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 07:53 PM
spray the cc onto the sheetrock in 3 inch passes. after u tear up a few houses, change the c in ur name to a k. spray a few more that way then put an a in front of ur name. and you can just keep putting a's in front of ur name as needed. when bidding just tell folks u have 20 years experience and quote scripture, you'll be fine.
philip mullins
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 07:57 PM
oh yeah, dont forget, every time the sheetrock potatoe chips always say that in my 20 years of doing this ive never seen this happen. is that chinese sheetrock?
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 06:08 AM
..i seal with OC,,,will not spray CC down to a lid for a number of reasons,,,,some reflected here already,,,but mainly the OC gives me artistic creativity to do the job right in difficult to reach areas with out loosin my ass or causing installation problems...

...what shall it profit a man if he gains the world,,,but looses his soul????

god bless...rofl

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.