Q&A Forums

spray suits and face protection Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
william cole
Posted: May 28, 2006 09:23 AM
spray suits and face protection
i am so new i havent done my first job yet. i have seen numerous kinds but am not sure what to buy. do you use a resperator or just a face mask. what is the coolest suit because i am on thd ms.gulf coast where the humidity in the summer time is 98%. appreciate all the help i can get.
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: May 28, 2006 09:39 PM
As far as spray suits go I just by the cheapest thing I can find. I go to second hand stores and usually get those old coveralls that the RV people often wear. Make sure they are long sleeved and were a ratty T- shirt underneath. Use your crappiest s******s too. I don't normally where a resperator unless the fumes start getting to me, I always where one in crawl spaces though. I recomend a half faced one. Spend the money and get one that will be comfortable and you can get replacement cartridges readily. Find someone that carries "Advanz" goggles by AO safety, usually home depot or lowes will have them. Get plenty of them and don't set them upside down where they can get overspray or anything on the back side of the lens. They will last a few spray jobs then they tend to get all screwed up before they use the whole roll of lens. If you are going to be in really confined spaces you make look at a fresh air system.
william cole
Posted: May 29, 2006 09:40 AM
thanks beendriftin, i am just getting started in the business and appreciate all the help i can get. listen i was told that when you spray this stuff for long periods of time that it is very unhealthy not to wear a mask because after a long period of time this foam when it drys will build up in your lungs.
Trey Gibson
Posted: May 29, 2006 11:04 AM
The A side of the foam (iso) is a known carcinogen meaning it causes cancer. After prolonged exposure to this you may become sensitized to it causing you to get asthma like symptoms and nauseated. Definitely at the least wear the cartridge respirators at all times and get a supplied fresh air for attics. Don't store your cartidge respirators in the same compartment as your chemicals because the filter elements will become saturated with the chemicals and become worthless. We store our respirators in the front of the truck. You don't want to start this business and use inadequate protection and down the line not be able to step foot in one of your houses without becoming sick.
Dave Strnad
Posted: May 29, 2006 05:38 PM
What type of cartridges should be used, just any organic vapour or something different. I am getting a 3M 7800S fullface mask but there are a lot of options for cartidges. I have used fresh air respirators and don't think they will work well for me, could just be my experinces were bad. I do want to be unprotected I have seen what chemicals can do to people, your health is nothing to be macho about. Will organic cartridges provide protection equal to fresh air?
Posted: May 29, 2006 11:02 PM
respiratory protection is a must!
this stuff is serious do do...

i use the 7800 for most all sidewall and overhead work...6900 organic vapor cartridges
supplied air for attics,crawls and enclosed confines...

i like the full face as it protects the eyes too..

this is hot hellin work,,,i wear gel pack vest in the dog days of summer,,,and when it is really hot i'll kick on the supplied air hood,,if you keep your temple (er,,head) cool you will feel better about the heat in general..seems the movement of the air across the head helps alot...
purchased a couple of vortex chillers & vests late last season, and will try them soon (93 here today..damn summer came fast)

remember protect your self from raw component chemical exposure. protect yourself from airborne airosols of the spraying process...
hydrate regularly,,eat your veggies,,,,
Posted: May 29, 2006 11:14 PM
http://www.polyurethane.org/pdfs/MRPP.pdf#search='model%20respiratory%20program'

copy this link to your web browser for a copy of the API's model respiratory program
(note the appostrophy at the end of the address,,)
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 31, 2006 06:14 AM
W******ver is spraying should wear a supplied air respirator no matter what area is being sprayed. This is serious business. Other people in the building should wear a full face mask with organic vapor cartridges and particulate filter.

Good quality supplied air system: $1,000
3m full face respirator #6800: $125.00
3m organic vapor cartridge #6001: $9.00/pr
3m N95 particulate filter #5p71: $12.00/10 pack
3m retainer 501R: $6.00/pr
3m face shield tear offs: $25/25 pack

Living to grow old: Priceless

This is a good business, but no amount of money is worth even one day less of my time with my family.

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 04, 2006 03:46 PM
Wear adequate protection. You only get one pair of lungs.

We use lite & kool coveralls. If the weather is real hot and we are foaming indoors, we use a supplied air hood and an air conditioner unit on it.

We also use a 3M 501/901 air hood with PAPR supply air. It works very well.

gcw
Eric Hill
Posted: Jun 08, 2006 10:20 PM
try www.gss-store.com and get their poly prop coveralls , They are what I went to. They are really cheap($1.25ea) and they breath!!!!!
I was using the tyvek suits and dying from the heat. I live in the DFW, TX area. I use a full face fresh air system always....

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.