Q&A Forums

Spray Foam Roofing - Classes Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
William Gibson
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 11:02 AM
Spray Foam Roofing - Classes
Mason:
I know that you are a speaker/supporter of the SPFA Roofing Classes. I was wondering if you know of a good roofing class to attend and if you know of any upcoming this winter or upcoming spring? We are a company that has grown in the residential field and are now ABAA certified and we are looking to do more for our clients by getting into the SPF roofing.

Please let me know your recommendations.
mason
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 04:34 PM
I will be conducting a series of SPFA accredited courses in the spring. The course offerings will be both building envelope and roofing courses. I expect to firm up some dates and locations within the next month. The idea is to have as many of the required courses to be fully accredited as an applicator in a weeks worth of courses including, hands on equipment and materials course, all of the 101 courses and extras.

In the meanwhile, many suppliers of foam and/or equipment have ongoing courses that specialize in roofing at their facilities across the country. For example Intech Equipment is having a week long roofing course at their facility in Phoenix in December

Bay Systems, BASF, NCFI have SPFA accredited equipment and materials courses and other equipment groups such as CPI and PRTC in Ohio have week long roofing instruction.

I am sure there are others.

Keep a look out for the schedule of my training series in the spring. It will be listed as part of the Sprayfoam Educational Institute curriculum.
clint moore
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 05:06 PM
Intech Equipment in California holds the West Coast PRTC. Call for schedule and times. 909-388-1071
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 08:52 PM
We will be offering the SPFA roofing course in April or May in NH. Not sure of the date yet. Let me know if interested and I will add you to the list and email you when the date is finalized.

George
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Dec 09, 2009 09:51 PM
Does that mean if I went through the BASF Roofers Course and scored well on their testing, I would be accredited with the SPFA?
mason
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 08:09 AM
Newby,

Not at this time. However the BASF course would provide one of the required courses to become fully accredited. (Equipment and Materials)

There are a series of courses plus onsite inspections of 3 roof projects that each applicator must complete before being fully accredited. The basic courses for roofing include:
101 Fundamentals of SPF
101 R Fundamentals of SPF Roofing
R-1, Roofing Fundamentals
Equipment and Materials (furnished by a SPFA accredited supplier)

Then a SPFA accredited roofing inspector inspects 3 roofs at least 5000 sq ft each. After completing and succesfully passing inspections, the applicator can be fully accredited.

You can also be accredited at the foreman level by taking another course, 201 Project Control
and a company accreditation by taking 301, Sales

I can presently teach all of the 101 courses plus do inspections.

I am working on a draft criteria and qualification for facilities and instructors for SPFA that will allow suppliers to incorporate the basic elements of the SPFA accreditation courses in their own proprietary training so that an applicator can go to their supplier's training and become fully accredited (after inspections).

This should be available within the next couple of months.

I will be teaching the 101 courses at George Spanos facility in New Hampshire and at Intech Equipment's facility in California in the spring

These courses are also available at the annual Sprayfoam conference (being held Feb 14-17 in Orlando, check sprayfoam.org for specific information)

I can also come to your site and teach the 101 courses to get a head start on the process and do the inspections. (for example I am teaching the 101 courses and doing inspections for a contractor in Lousiana in January)

Hope this helps, call me for more specific information, 571-239-5221

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.