Q&A Forums

spray foam in conjunction with other materials Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
abilliott
Posted: Sep 15, 2016 02:35 PM
spray foam in conjunction with other materials
I am building a steel building and want to use spray foam to insulate it. The roof will be
metal roof sheets screwed to steel purlins attached to beams ect and the inside of the
building will have another layer of painted steel for the "finished inside ceiling". I have a
friend who done something very similar with his building and he warned me that the foam
between purlins worked great but he had alot of heat transfer from the exterior sheets, down to the purlins and into the beams, temps of 105 degrees at the bottom of purlins, and 115 on the inside beams were shot with a thermometer. His solution was to fur his ceiling down off the purlins with
2x4's, I am hoping someone has maybe a simpler solution?

Can foam be shot to the underside of the "typical" roll insulation that most steel buildings have? This would separate the steel on steel contact but I worry about adhesion to the fiberglass or maybe even moisture problems? Are any of these concerns of mine warranted? Any good advise?
mason
Posted: Sep 15, 2016 05:22 PM
I wouldn't spray over the fiberglass insulation, poor adhesion, potential moisture condensation is likely. You can spray foam on the purlins and beams, then cover with an approved thermal barrier such as K-13 or Ure K or a tested intumescent coating. Check out ICC Evaluation Services reports on the different foam manufacturers for specific approvals.

Mason
abilliott
Posted: Sep 16, 2016 12:31 PM
So spraying onto the vinyl backing is definitely not a good idea? I don't really want to spray over the purlins since it would give me an uneven surface to install my finished ceiling.
dillon624
Posted: Apr 16, 2017 09:30 AM
For future reference foam and k 13 in any metal building looks great and does its job as an insulation,a thermal barrier and also helps with the acoustics of the building. As long as the sprayer knows how to spray otherwise ceiling looks like moon base alpha. You can use different colors of k 13 and we have even sprayed lines and any shape or pic customer wants on ceiling or walls takes some extra work though.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.