Q&A Forums

SPF to underside of metal floor deck Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Matt Snyder
Posted: Feb 11, 2013 11:40 AM
SPF to underside of metal floor deck
I am wanting to insulate an elevated floor structure with foam... it will be a commercial project, floor assembly is a corrugated metal deck spanning between steel bar joists.

the contractor on the job has concerns about the spray foam remaining adhered to the metal deck over time. Is this a legitimate problem? Anyone with experiences/horror-stories, etc?

thanks
richard sucher II
Posted: Feb 16, 2013 12:47 PM
under most situations, foam will be there long after both you and I are gone from this earth. Occasionally metal will need to be primed prior to foam application when the metal has an oil film on it. Consult with foam manufacturer that is going to be spec'd to determine conditions when metal will or will not need to be primed. Over 35 years of experience, we have had to prime seldom. Do pay attention to code issues regarding thermal barrier requirements for foam applied in occupied spaces. again, mfg can advise you as to what requirements there may be for fire protection for your specific application. good luck. fyi, most of our experience is with using closed cell, two pound density foam and not open celled, half pound foam. definately have confidence in closed celll foam to stick when properly installed. do not have as much confidence or experience with open celled products. perhaps others can address the stick toitiveness of open celled products.
Matt Snyder
Posted: Feb 18, 2013 12:02 PM
Thanks for the info...

I've been anticipating the thermal barrier; the floor will be over an exterior parking area... +/-30" air cavity below the foam with metal soffit ceiling between the outside air and floor cavity.

Local code official confirmed the need for a thermal barrier (to provide code compliant flame-spread performance.)
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 19, 2013 08:32 AM
I would recommend a primer for that application even though you might not need it. It is cheap insurance. I know that Bayer has a two component, water based epoxy primer that is reasonably priced per gallon and covers 300 square feet per gallon. Check with the manufacturer of the brand of foam that the contractor is going to use for their primer.

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.