Q&A Forums

South Mississippi foam question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
kevin stro
Posted: May 30, 2013 11:01 PM
South Mississippi foam question
I am building a 2000 square ft brick house on concrete slab. I have 2 different quotes from different people, both are recommended from people I know.

Guy 1 recommends open cell 3.5" walls and 7" roofline.

Guy 2 recommends closed cell at 1.5" wall and 2" roof line.

Both are oddly fairly close in cost.
Which route is the best way for me? Guy 2 has a similar designed house and has a below 100 month electric bill as does one of my friends that recommended him.
Mark Mouton
Posted: May 31, 2013 10:45 PM
Guy 1 is the better deal, but more important is where your home is located is hot with high humidity. You want the moisture barrier on the outside of the envelope,not inside. Closed cell is a moisture barrier, open cell isn't. Your roof will be the moisture barrier on top, and put Tyvek(or house wrap) on the exterior of the walls. Properly size the air conditioner so it runs a lot in the summer and it will keep everything dry. Probably 3 tons,depends on glass.or 4 ton 2 speed
If you were spraying the underside of a house on piers, then you would use 2" of closed cell there for the moisture barrier to be to the outside. Open cell could soak up moisture and rot the floor.
kevin stro
Posted: Jun 01, 2013 12:01 AM
The walls are wrapped in tyvek and the roof decking is wrapped in roof wrap with the 2x4 perlings for the metal roof.
you are correct with the ac, it is sized at a 3 ton 2speed with humidistat/thermostat for humidity control. Although I did have 2 other guys quote me at a 4 ton 2 speed.

Thank you for your input on the subject.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.