Q&A Forums

Sound Transmission Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 03:33 PM
Sound Transmission
I have a bar owner with an outside stage, the neighbors are getting on his case about the sound levels. The owner of the bar has narrowed it down to the sound traveling directly thru the back wall of the stage. How much sound deading would he get with 2" of CC Foam? Would it even be worth the investment?

Please let me know your thoughts, and if you have any ideas on a better way to reduce the volumn with out having to turn the amplifiers down.
mason
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 03:58 PM
Sprayfoam ( both open and closed cell) can significantly reduce sound transmission through a wall by sealing the cracks and crevices that allow sound to travel from one side to the other.

However, 2 lb foam is not that good of a sound absorbing insulation. The denser material allows more vibration noises through.

Open cell foam is better at absorbing sound than closed cell foam. But since it is an outside wall, the foam would have to be weather protected. Is the foam going to be covered up with a sheathing or just coated? If it is going to be coated and needs to be weather proof you probably would go with a closed cell foam. If you are going to cover it with plywood or some other sheathing and weatherproof the wall, you could use open cell foam.

Also don't forget to provide a thermal barrier over the foam to protect against the foam flashing. This could be a sprayed on thermal barrier coating or a thermal barrier sheathing (such as drywall)
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 04, 2007 01:58 PM
This is a tough one, since the stage is outside, and presumably open. Thermocon would work better at reducing the sound than foam would. It also looks nicer as a finish product.
You could also line the interior of the stage with Econo-barrier sound mat. Go with the .25" mat. They use this for recording studios - it works well.

have fun,

olger
Shawn Faherty
Posted: Jul 09, 2010 05:40 AM
Interesting. Thermo-con says it is better than foam with a R-3.7 per inch, even though foam is almost twice that.

I'm interested in sound proofing a two family home. Want the upstairs/downstairs noise kept to a minimum for each unit. Planned on using foam for exterior walls(closed cell) and wondered if I should go with open cell foam for the in-between-unit's floor. Or should I try something else, like use the old fiberglass insulation and just pack as much as I can into each joist.

I know this post is old, so thanks to anyone who replies.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.