Q&A Forums

sound dampining Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
scott moss
Posted: Sep 07, 2009 08:37 PM
sound dampining
not sure how you say that or spell it but I have a bonus room over master bedroom and a full set of cc already for the job. will cc do as well as oc for the noise coming from bonus room and how well does cc work on interior pluming. I thought about spraying foam in wall cavities to ease the noise of shower and toliet flushing.
SPFer
Posted: Sep 08, 2009 06:29 PM
It is spelled dampening, and OC is a better sound reducing product than CC. I believe the STC rating (sound transmission class) of OC is around 41, and CC is around 38. Not sure how it is measured, but I do know the higher the number the better it is for reducing sound.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Sep 08, 2009 08:02 PM
Make sure you leave an air space. If you don't, you'll allow more sound to travel directly through the materials than with an air space. Multiple air spaces is optimal with multiple densities of materials.
mason
Posted: Sep 09, 2009 12:50 PM
Closed cell foam is not a good sound absorbing material but is very good and stopping airborne noises that are transmitted through cracks and crevices in stick frame construction.

I agree that the open cell foam, or cellulose would provide better sound absorbing qualities. The open cell foam would also provide good resistance for those airborne noises as well (somewhat better than the cellulose).

I have not seen studies on open cell foam with an air space, so don't know if that will help the situation. The theory sounds valid.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.