Q&A Forums

sound barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
andy buff
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 12:18 PM
sound barrier
I'm looking at a commrecial building,a flooring plant. huge, very loud.they are building offices inside the facility and want it as quiet a possiable. 2x6 walls that they were going to use cellulose. i suggested 2x4 walls off set and filled with .5lb, any wisdom will help any research data sound barriers and foam....thanks
mason
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 03:14 PM
Cellulose is a better sound absorbing material than sprayfoam (open cell is better than closed cell). But, cellulose will not stop outside noises effectively. Sprayfoam seals all those cracks and crevices that allow sound to travel.

For the best of both worlds, spray 1-2 inches of sprayfoam then cover it with a fire retardent cellulose such as Ure K. This would also give you a thermal barrier over the foam.
Posted: Apr 14, 2011 06:17 PM
skinny,,do a search on here,,been lots of dialoge on sound,,,
be careful about sellin sound deadening,,,sound attenuation is my-ex-wife...
our product is just a component in the system for sound reduction...
particularly in the commercial entity this system should be an "engineered system"..
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Apr 15, 2011 09:03 AM
Mason is right with the cellulose. The cellulose is better for sound control than foam. If it's just the office walls you could go with cellulose alone. If they want sound controlled in the production area put a couple inches of foam and cover with cellulose. We have done entire facilities using this system and it works great.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 08:12 PM
I would use about 3" of Open Cell foam and then put Ultra Touch Cotton Batts in on the inside. They have R-13 which is STC of 45 and R-19 which is an STC of 57. Then theres the R-21 and R-30 but these haven't been officially tested yet.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.