Q&A Forums

So I am not the only one..... Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 02:36 AM
So I am not the only one.....
That thinks Graco equipment is troublesome and expensive to maintain/repair?

Their stuff breaks down every few work days.
Posted: Dec 09, 2008 03:02 PM
Strange comment, they have the most reliable equipment in the industry. Do you have a good relationship with Graco distributor?
painter213

www.specialty-products.com

Benny Abbott

Phone: 205-717-0292

NACE Level III #7953

SSPC PCS # 2014-529-139

SSPC CCI Level II #64351

Posted: Dec 09, 2008 11:37 PM
Let's see, Graco bought up Gusmer and Glasscraft, so other than Gamma, Who else is there. I will say that I have used Graco products for over 20 years and there products have taken a plunge over the last few years. The Gusmer 20/35 Pro was a good machine and they hacked it up and now look what is left of it. My first HXP-2 was a boat anchor. The hose heating system was a nightmare. Graco sent someone out on several trips and nothing that they done worked, so they finally sent me a new 20/35 pro to replace it. Been problem free since.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 09:17 AM
Well you know I can't let this pass me by without putting in my 2 cents...

First let me state I am a Graco distributor so I do like their equipment, but I will be fair here.

Gusmer - Yes these machines last and last, but not without proper maintenance. These machines were sold from the 1980's and earlier to just a few years ago. Back in the earlier days people were more mechanically inclined, people worked on their own cars and machinery. These machines are very difficult to troubleshoot and fix without being very technically and electrically inclined. You must be familiar in reading electrical diagrams, have an amp meter, ohm meter to troubleshoot. The horizonatal pumps were the bomb, everyone loves these including Graco, who incorporated them into their new hydraulic reactor line. Gusmer had issues with the packings, and leaking pumps. I sold like 7 machines in a row that leaked on the b side right out of the box.

Graco - They made an electric machine that was more affordable to contractors to get into the sprayfoam industry. They made it easy to troubleshoot with the diagnostic codes, they told you what was wrong with the machine, which made it easier for people who were not electrically inclined to fix their own units. They did have some trouble with the boards and such. They redesigned the gusmer pumps to be easier to service, and fixed the leaking pump (packings) issue. My opinion is that when the machine is sized properly: heat, output, generator supply; the machines run great, its when people buy the wrong machine configuration or use the wrong type of generator/power supply that they have problems, which they blame on Graco.
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 10:49 AM
For the most part in the last 4 years that I have owned Graco Equipment, it has been trouble free. I am pretty rough on equipment because I do so many things and I expect it all to work when I need it.

The few times that I did have problems, it was usually something that I overlooked or lack of regular maintenance. You know, get finished at midnight and not worry about it till I ran it again a few days later.

Once I realized that regular maintenance took care of most of my problems, I have been trouble free ever since.

Looking forward to moving up to a New H-40 at the beginning of the year.
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 02:19 PM
To be clear and fair, Graco contacted me the day I made this post.

The rep was concerned about my business. He was concerned that they were meeting my needs.

He showed me that my parts supplier was jacking me around. He made it all better.

Was lucky that I picked up the phone. I ususally dont answer out of area, unknown, private calls.
Michael Flander
Posted: Dec 12, 2008 03:02 PM
Robin,

I had a LONG post written about this yesterday and decided not to post it. I truly believe that most of the complaints about Graco that I hear relate directly back to the distributor, and not Graco themselves. I know the complaints, and while some of them may be valid, most of them would be easily solved if the distributor steps up to the plate.(There are exceptions, but I won't get into that here).

I just checked, and over the last 2 years we have had only one warranty claim turned down by Graco. And with the one that was denied, they denied a complete replacement of a hydraulic motor but approved the repairs for it. I can't even remember the last time anything was even questioned.

So while some complaints are things your distributor doesn't have control over, most complaints are a direct result of the distributors themselves. The top notch distributors might not have the cheapest prices on the internet, but they will answer the phone at 9:00pm at night on a weekend when you need them. You can't put a price on service like that. Robin is a great example of this, and so is George. Heck this forum is a wonderful example of this as a whole. People helping people for no monetary value at all. In the end, every last one of us on here wants everyone else to be just as successful. And I hope you all are!

Just my .02 cents......
Bubba Pallo
Posted: Jan 28, 2009 08:38 PM
Good equipment. Getting too technical. Have to buy a $600 board instead of troubleshooting a bad relay or controller. By design of course, OEM replacement only cinches all future repair sales. 2009 pricing is a joke. 8% - 10% across the board is twice the industry standard. Some good changes though with hybrid heaters, amp-lok hose control and the set screw type hose connectors. I'd like to see more solid state & heavy duty components and less circuit boards. Let's get back to the basics.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 02:17 PM
I continue to hear the same story over and over. The newer Graco equipment isn't that great nor is their service. And their prices are a joke. I've switched to GAMA equipment. It doesn't matter if your "old school" mechanically inclined or "new school" technically inclined the "Gusmer style" equipment is simple and reliable. Bring back the Gusmer H-series equipment!
Posted: Mar 13, 2009 07:51 PM
I ordered a 250 just recently and am waiting for it to come in.

My E-20 still works like a charm and I have done everything humanly possible to give it a go from using an 03 spray chamber cranking up the pressure to spraying Polyurea at high temp and pressure to structural reisins.

Once I figured out how to truly deal with those side seals on the fusion AP without having to replace them with new all of the time, things have been pretty nifty.

I just couldn't see paying 24K for an H-40 and went with the 250 instead. A friend of mine sprays with the 140 and I really like it.

Can't wait to see how it feels to spray with a real machine and not a toy.

Steve
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 08:25 PM
Gama for me too. Frank Seca and Bill Hyrncywitz are a good combination, and Graco is quite simply a monopoly.

regards,

oG
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 09:03 AM
Graco did try to become a monopoly in the foam industry by buying their competition. The only one stopping them is GAMA! My vote is for the underdog! Go GAMA!
TIM SHOCKSNIDER
Posted: Apr 08, 2009 07:23 AM
Check out 21ST JMT at www.21stjmt.com Manufactors of the ULTIMATE SERIES Spray foam machine
Todd Baxter
Posted: Apr 09, 2009 08:26 AM
I took a look at 21 jmt, but no one will answer the phone or return my call.
Terrance Harris
Posted: Apr 09, 2009 06:37 PM
Started spraying with Gusmer FF in 1971, 220 volts line heat, and a C gun (not a missprint), presently running 20/35 pro purchased in 05. Got 800,000 lbs thru it and never put a wrench on it except to check/clean screens. 20/35 never been repacked and packings not leaking. Keep HII maintained for back up/second rig. Never had a complaint about Gusmer proportioning equipment. Should we expand and need a new machine, I'll be talking to GAMA.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 01:35 PM
Hey Gunslinger, I didn't think there was anyone else out there that even knew what a "c" gun was let alone used one. I too started out with a couple old "FF" units and "C" guns. Sprayed a lot of foam with the gun stuck open! If you ever need a new machine definitely look t at the GAMA. I'm currently using the G-250. Nice machine!
Terrance Harris
Posted: Apr 10, 2009 02:38 PM
God bless Fred Gusmer. RIP.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.