Q&A Forums

smelly foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gregg
Posted: Sep 05, 2016 11:25 PM
smelly foam
I had swd quick shield 106, open cell applied to my new construction house, 1600 sq ft, ranch style, under roof sheathing and also 2x6 wall cavities, for a non vented attic, 8 to 10 inch in ceiling, 5.5 wall cavity. After about the 2nd day, I noticed a smell in the afternoon, from about 2 pm till about 9 pm. Temps are 95 to 105 at this time of year here. It will be 30 days this coming Friday since the install. In the mornings, still about 90 degrees sometimes, the smell is not strong, very faint. The smell in the evenings is like paint, or like when they sprayed the foam. When the sun sets on the roof and west wall for a period of time the smell is strong. I have not installed sheet rock yet, or doors. I have Been running fans for 3 weeks. Only foam and wood in there.Installing contractor says the smell is not bad, but he doesn't come late in the evening. I think they are stalling, as our outside temps will be going down soon, then next summer I will be left to deal with this. He is bringing exhaust fans he says. I can take a piece of the foam out of the wall , put it in a plastic bag, put it in the sun for 30 min, and the bag wreeks. When it gets cool, no noticeable smell. Is this normal? When I finish the home, and the attic is amost the same temperature as house, will the smell still be there? Is there any chance that encapsulate the foam with something, would solve the issue with out taking it out? Thanks
polyol
Posted: Jul 13, 2017 06:36 PM
That is interesting, SWD uses non-emmisive catalysts and most of the feedback I get is that it is one of the least smelly.

My roof is coated with 8" of it and I have zero odor. Perhaps your applicator sprayed it poly rich.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.