Q&A Forums

Small time, long term set-up Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Travis
Posted: Oct 05, 2016 03:57 AM
Small time, long term set-up
Hey guys, Travis here. Lets get down to the dirty, I have an e-20, bought it used 10+- years ago.

cons-Run down, was set-up with stainless day tanks, destroyed trailer, shot air compressor, gravity setup for open cell. Former owner actually crushed his A-side day-tank with the pump because he forgot to open it... lol...

pros-Worked surprisingly well, for open cell, he "rebuilt" the A pump on reactor. I have 2 fusion AP, 3 heads total. 15kw,22kw surge gas generator. Decent fresh air system. Bought 2 T-1 transfer pumps, a giant gas wheel-barrel compressor, and started learning how to spray on my own projects.

Machine started to screw up, from day one really, and I didn't spend the money or have the knowledge to fix everything. I sprayed here and there for like 3 years and then it sat. About 2 years ago my friend wanted to bring this thing back to life, im like no... it sucks... anyways we dug in, iso crystal all the way to the reactor, bought new lines, new y-strainers, fixed wet-cup, rebuilt the 100+- ft of hose with new a-side (Do not recommend trying this, PAIN IN THE ASS), and managed to struggle through a couple jobs.

Then it sat in the shop in the corner for the past 8 months give or take, I just bought a new trailer, new set of 2lb, fired it up and managed to spray 3/4 of my trailer, while mashing the run button... e-24... dropped the pumps into the new set then, couldn't get good foam period. Y-strainer full crystals, cleaned, flushed, replaced bottom seals in gun over and over, now I can't even hook up the gun without packing the bottom seal with crystals. I also pulled the manifold at the whip thinking it may have crystals stuck before it and it seemed ok, manifold was clean.

I have good "flow" so it seems, main A-pump probably need rebuilding or replacing, and I believe the hose has iso crystals throughout.

This is why I didn't want to bring it back from the grave... We both got lazy, didnt have a place to set it up to run it once a month, and God knows, u guys know what kind of money we could spend.

Sooo we have a few options, tell me what you guys think, or maybe there are others that we haven't thought of:

1. (most tempting) Burn it, Shoot at it, Buy tannerite, at least 5lb, and blow it up.
2. recirculate system through hose with screen into a 95% full set of good closed cell 2lb and pray.
3. buy iso nuet and whatever else, set-up a flush system and beat on the hose for a day.
4. take my old day tanks, buy/create flushing system for reactor/hose, and/or buy new hose. Buy and fill with "hydraulic fluid" for storage. Build/buy barrel pumps and flush system for them. Set-up system for keeping guns clean and ready.
5. Pay one of you to fix my problems.

I tried my best to stay calm, and put my options from least to most expensive. I would like to keep the system, don't mind circulating it twice a month, which is why I need it in my almost-ready climate controlled, trailer. Which will stay at my house.
Travis
Posted: Oct 05, 2016 03:59 AM
I would also take any realistic offers, Thank you guys in advance, and sorry for the wall of text
Travis
Posted: Oct 07, 2016 07:36 PM
Are these forums dead? What sites are u guys posting at?
AERtech

Repair and Tech support for Air Equipment & Repair

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 01:54 PM
Travis,

Personally if it was me in your shoes, even with the knowledge to repair everything on the rig, I would find the financing to purchase a whole new rig. The reason I don't advise my customers to purchase used foam equipment is mainly because you don't ever truly know how it was treated( outside of the things that are obvious, like the day tank). Many people would say its because it makes us look better to sell new, but actually our people don't make a commission on selling the equipment. To do the repair on your current equipment in a way that will ensure that you can use it long term would be so costly that it would justify a new Proportioner and hoses.

If you have any more questions, you can call me at 800-677-3487, ask for Calvin
Dakotafoamboy
Posted: Oct 26, 2016 06:25 PM
If you get it running right and your not going to use it for an extended period of time you need to flush the entire system clean clean. A couple hundred dollars worth of acetone is way cheaper than $10,000 worth of hoses and pumps. If it's a short period of time you have to control the humidity in the rig. Spray foam is best left to the full time guys that keep the rig running all the time, that's when you have the least amount of issues
AERtech

Repair and Tech support for Air Equipment & Repair

Posted: Nov 24, 2016 07:36 PM
Don't ever use acetone to flush a rig. Use glycol ether to clean everything out, then follow with pump lube for storage.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.