Q&A Forums

silicone or acrylic over spf roof coated with 550D polyurea Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
jeff henderson
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 12:10 AM
silicone or acrylic over spf roof coated with 550D polyurea
Hi there,

We sprayed polyurea over foam last summer on the exteriour of a quonset. Homeowner would like to change the colour now, and as it happens I have some spare lapolla thermo-flex acrylic coating on hand, as well as some gaco silicon coating.

I would like to simply just topcoat the quonset with either the silicone or the acrylic. Any downside to this? As opposed to another coating of polyurea?

I have been told that if I wantto use the acrylic wash the existing polyurea down with a solvent to 'soften it up' enough for the acrylic to bite. Do you agree? Would the same hold true for the silicone?

Any thoughts wuld be greatly appreciated.
mason
Posted: Aug 23, 2010 07:33 AM
You should be able to recoat with either coating. A primer may be required.

But, if you go with the silicone coating, you have to stay with the silicone. You cannot recoat over silicone with other type of coatings.
As for cleaning, DO NOT USE SOLVENTS! That could affect the physical properties of the existing coating as well as the coating that will be going over it.

Check with the coating manufacturer for their recommendations on recoating over polyurea.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.