Q&A Forums

Scheduling Programs or Software Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Stephen Arnold
Posted: Jul 26, 2007 12:55 PM
Scheduling Programs or Software
Anyone out there have experience with scheduling programs or software?

We have enough going on that we seriously need to be scheduling and tracking our jobs in a more organized manner other than a notebook or two. There seem to be quite a few on-line or software programs for contractors but we were wondering if anyone in SPF has used something that works well.

Thanks!
Steve
quentin
Posted: Jul 27, 2007 10:49 AM
A simple database using MS Access can do what you need and is easy to customize or change later as your needs grow and change. If you need a hand on that, let me know and I can talk to my wife for you. She does some database design and has created programs like that. I am a network and hardware tech by trade but she does that end of things.

I might even be able to get her to do some things like that for others if anyone is interested. Just let us know exactly what you want and also a time frame to get it done. Not sure if or how much she will want in return but I know she and I do stuff like this on the side for cheap.

Also if anyone needs computer help, let me know. I use remote software so I can handle most issues from right here easily enough and it is all secure. Bonus points since it all is to help me get the money together so I can get my own foam business going!
Stephen Arnold
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 10:19 AM
Hi Quentin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure I need (or have time for) yet another job creating a database though I am interested in what MS Access might do. I am handling much of the sales and marketing for my owners and trust me it is already more than a full time job.

I did a google search and there seems to be lots of "off the shelf" systems for contractors available. Before jumping into one of those I was hoping to find input from folks in the foam biz that might recommend one over another from personal experience.

Maybe there's nothing out there that addresses the unique issues of the Spray foam contractor - and if not, perhaps there's an opportunity???

If we cannot find some existing program that is reasonably simple to use, we may very well need to talk with your wife about creating it.

As to your doing spray foam, my take on it (and is the reason I'm in the industry is this): It won't too long before spray foam is the rule rather than the exception. It's just too much better of a product than either fiberglass or cellulose and as more consumers become aware, the market will demand the change. Builders and Contractors don't want to spend an extra dime in construction costs (especially for things people don't see)unless they themselves see some immediate benefit. Most don't want to even consider foam because it costs more. But things that are "standard" now in many homes (like Granite/Quartz countertops) used to be options only seen in high-end or custom houses. The market changed that and it will do the same for foam. As the transition takes place the people/companies who are already firmly in the business and ready to expand will do very well. Those that are so dedicated to traditional insulation will have to change quickly or go the way of the vinyl record. Since the investment and skill level for foam is so much higher, I believe many of the "old school" insulation companies will "die." Good. They deserve to go away because they are doing such a horrible disservice to the consumer. Just my opinion of course!

Let's keep in touch,
Steve

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.