Q&A Forums

Room(s) within larger building Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
richard sucher II
Posted: Feb 09, 2012 09:18 AM
Room(s) within larger building
Have project that has the following construction:

Large metal building used for water treatment facility.
Within this large building, owner is building a separate room - 20x20 - for chemical storage. Two of the walls are common to the interior of the larger building, two are commom to the exterior of the larger building and the ceiling of the room serves as both a ceiling to the storage area as well as floor for mezzanice area above to be used for storage.

Within the 20x20 room, there is a partion wall as well.

Our contract calls for spraying 1.5" of closed cell foam to two interior sidewalls, the ceiling and the partion wall within this 20x20 space.

Skin of two common exterior walls with larger building will be metal; skin for partion wall within 20x20 space will be FRP panels and ceiling will be plywood. Skin on ceiling will be FRP once foam is sprayed into ceiling cavity.

Question: where do we need thermal barrier. Am thinking of using DC-315.

Since there will be access to larger building by workers, do we need to spray thermal barrier to metal skin and plywood before we spray foam to provide thermal barrier over foam to protect those in surrounding space.

Once we spray foam in wall/ceiling cavities, am thinking that we for sure need to spray TB over foam before interior skin is applied.

For partion wall, do we need to install TB on both sides of foam because there will be two rooms inside this 20x20 area.

This facility is in small rural community. Originally, all i thot that had to be protected with TB would be over foam once it was sprayed but that only addressed occupants of the interior of this 20x20 space.

Then I wondered about the foam only being separated by the metal or plywood skin of the larger surrounding space.

Thanks for input.
quentin
Posted: Feb 09, 2012 12:00 PM
Depends a lot on the code there. Frequently plywood and metal are enough of a barrier depending on how thick they are. As long as no foam is exposed to the interior and you are using thick enough plywood, then you shouldn't need that. I don't know the exact requirement off my head but have done things like this before and it was never an issue as long as the plywood was thick enough or the metal interior walls were a heavy enough gauge.

I also found it depends a lot on the actual inspector as to what they will accept and providing them the actual specs from the manufactures are a must to get anywhere with them.
richard sucher II
Posted: Feb 09, 2012 12:11 PM
Wil ck on thickness and gauge and go from there

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.