Q&A Forums

Roof Too Far Gone? (Picture) Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ben Rhodes
Posted: Oct 26, 2015 07:57 AM
Roof Too Far Gone? (Picture)
Hi there,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am looking to purchase my first home, and it is a short sale (Arizona). During the inspection, I was told that the roof foam currently on the house is past the end of its usable life. I don't know much about this type of roofing, but after doing some research I have found some places saying that the elastomeric coating can be reapplied, and others saying that the entire roof needs to be replaced (old foam removed, new foam, and new coating).

When looking at the roof, and from looking around online, it appears that the coating is extremely degraded, but I can't tell if that means the foam underneath is also degraded to a point of no return. The coating looks like a bunch of little cracks that are pealing up. Attached is a link to a picture -> http://tinypic.com/r/2555p5f/8

From the experience here, is this something that appears to be potentially salvageable with recoating? Or would it need an entirely new foam and coating application? Per the inspection, there are currently no leaks that are noticeable on the inside of the house, but that is about as much as I know. My realtor had a roofing company come give a quote for a new roof (we didn't inquire about recoating), and they gave a quote of ~$8k for a 1,600 sq/ft house. I just don't want to replace the entire roof it is unnecessary.

Once again, thanks in advance for any information that can be given!
Jjnsn

Jay Johnson

National Sales Manager

CJ Spray Inc.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 02:20 PM
Ben,

I was not able to view your picture. However from your description, you may be able to just "scarf" off the old coating and reapply new coating. The foam under the coating may have to be patched or more added to get the required thickness. I would recommend you contact a local roofing company that specializes in foam roofs. They should be able to give you some guidance.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.