Q&A Forums

Rodent Barrier Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
2bfoamsmart
Posted: Sep 15, 2016 03:15 PM
Rodent Barrier
I could not find any information on this topic. I discovered a small hole to the outside of our home that mice have been using as an access to get in. Is there a spray foam that is specifically formulated that has a metal or a fiberglas component or other special formulation that will prevent from mice from being able to eat through it? Also, the access I have to this hole is very tough so I would like to know if there is an extended nozzle 6 ft or so that I could use to pump this material.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 03:26 PM
I haven't had much luck out there with the rodent proof foam so what I do is to take wire mesh, chicken wire or coarse steel wool and then use spray foam all through it on the inside outside and even in the middle of it! This can be done with a can of great stuff, the Pro Version or any other product that creates an air seal. It's important to create an air seal to prevent the smells and heat from escaping which is what the rodents look for. The other thing is you probably want to kill the rodents if possible to prevent them from trying to get back in the same path, or a slightly different path because once they get in, they remember that path and will look for it!
mason
Posted: Sep 15, 2016 05:17 PM
I agree with Jim, use a mesh or a strong coating that the varmints can't chew.

Mason
RosieErickson
Posted: Sep 16, 2016 07:30 AM
Yeah, I too agree with him.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.