Q&A Forums

Rig/Trailer Heat Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 02:39 PM
Rig/Trailer Heat
What is the best thing to use for trailer heat? I keep my rig inside a building that is somewhat insulated but not heated. I usually just run a space heater in the trailer at night. I'd like to install a more permanent heater in the trailer that I know will keep the temps up during these freezing nights.

I also need something that will really heat the trailer up when foaming in this weather. Right now I'm band heater-less so I'm relying on trailer heat to keep the drum heat up.

What's the best way to heat the trailer when towing in this weather? I've got a 60kw heater that I'd rather not have running while on the road. Can I get into my trailer light system for juice and add an inverter to plug into?
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 03:47 PM
Is your trailer insulated? If so it doesn't take much to heat it. Contact George at NHSPRAYFOAM.COM (that is his handle here) about some inexpensive band heaters. They work well and don't use much electricity.

I have an 110volt electric heater that I installed a cord to. This way I can plug it into the trailer and run off the genset during the day, but can plug it into shorepower at night to keep the trailer warm. With the trailer insulated it doesn't take much to keep it 70 degrees. Make sure you have a thermostat though.

I don't have long commutes with the trailer so I unplug the heater when on the road. The band warmers I keep plugged in and use a 12v-110v inverter. So far it works well.

Tim
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 06:51 PM
Are you saying your band heaters keep your trailer temps at 70 or just your drums?

My rig is insulated except for the floor which will get some closed cell pretty soon. I had the trailer manufacturer go ahead and insulate it (they just used glass) and deliver it with solid walls since I wasn't going to have the equipment to spray it when the trailer arrived. it does keep heat fairly well but I think i loose some heat out of the overhead AC unit.
Posted: Feb 04, 2007 07:00 PM
The band heaters alone keep the drums at 80-90. I use the electric heater to keep the spray room in the trailer at around 70 degrees. I chose electric so I don't have to worry about fueling it up, just plug it in and go. I only insulated the spray room and left the mechanical room uninsulated. I have a problem with heat up there as it is with the generator.

Tim
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Feb 05, 2007 05:22 PM
So what type of ele heater are you using? I'm thinking about a couple different wall mountable units that are 110v/20amp:

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/HGW308.html

http://www.heatershop.com/7060_overhead_radiant_space_heater.html

Any other suggestions???

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.