Q&A Forums

retro fitting Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 07:13 AM
retro fitting
We have many customers looking to insulate their older homes that currently have no insulation, any tips on the best method?
philip mullins
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 10:32 AM
funny, i was logging on to post a similisr question. i know of a method using pour foam where you use a hole saw and drill a hole at the top of the wall between the studs. you then install the pour foam and patch the hole. sounds easy enough but, how do you determine how much material you need? how long do you have to patch the hole befor the foam expands? and if the structure is framed with 2x6's would this option be economicaly viable?

i hope this helps. and hopefully some of the more experienced foamers will chime in. if we can work this out to a viable, profitable system, i have a marketing idea that may benefit us all. in all areas of the country. i just dont wanna post it here yet. not untill i pitch it to all my local prospects and wrap up a few deals. i know of a few local competitors that visit this board. but, trust me, thier is a huge market for this system out there. so, how can we make it work? tx
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 27, 2007 09:46 PM
Ok, everyone here's what I've found on this subject: no foam manufacture wants the liability of recomending there foam be injected into a framed wall except the big "I"

What I have done through Experimentation is find that you can inject 1/2# open cell spray foam from any suppler at 3 locations in a 8 foot wall. That is 24in from the bottom, middle, and close to the top. I use a 1 inch hole to inject the foam this also lets the excess foam come out. You can use as small as a 1/2 inch hole but this increses the chance of poping plaster off the wall. I make shure the customer understands that I'm not responsable for any cracked plaster.

You need to reduce your temp to slow down the reaction.

I'm using the P-2 gun with an 02 chamber, an 02 insert, and the pour adapter tip with 3 to 4 inches of 1/4 inch tubing installed replacing the tubing often as it becomes cloged. Insert the tube into the wall and pull the triger for about 3to4 seconds, wait untill it expands and inject the next hole. Adjest your timing as needed.

You can also try wall forming to get a better feel for this.

contact
PJT Manufacturing
1300 Lockwood Road
Billings, MT 59101
406-245-3636
and they will send you info on their wall forming system

Sorry I don't have time to add any more.
I'll come back to this subject when I can.

Hope this helps
Thanks
AIRPRO

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.