Q&A Forums

Respiration Safety - what do you use? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
JohnPeters
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 08:04 AM
Respiration Safety - what do you use?
Surprisingly, I've looked all over previous blog postings and could not find much of anything on this topic.

So what is everyone using to protect themselves from the foamy vapors?

We've bounced between a bullard 2 man pump with hoods and full face respirators with vapor cartridges.

What has everyone found works the best? Most economical?

Does anyone use the PAPR systems?

We all know we should be using fresh air: pump, vs. stage III compressor, vs. PAPR....which is the best?

Bullard, allegro, MSA...?
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 08:08 PM
I have personally had discusions on here dating back 5 years, try "fresh air" or "respirator", there is alot on here.
steven argus
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 10:32 AM
The filters for the PAPR's are too much $$$. Fresh air pump with either hood, helmet or full mask. I tell my guys I don't care what they wear, as long as they wear them.
Dean Nash
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 02:51 PM
The political answer is to make sure you're using a NIOSH Approved system and if you're using cartridges, they should be changed for every 8-10hrs of use if I'm not mistaken however, I think you answered your own question but I'll add a few things:

Ambient air pumps- (heavy and they blow hot air unless you opt for the big ones but then they can easily exceed the cost of high pressure systems)

Cartridge systems- Expenses add up quickly if changing the cartridges like one's supposed too BUT, trigger men like them because they're not tethered to yet another line.

High Pressure- By themselves, they are competitively priced with a 2-3 man ambient BUT, they can and usually are seriously thirsty for cfm's which can quickly increase the cost of a rig through the domino effect of raising the compressor cfm's which increases the kW of the genset which increases the space needed and the payload required. By far the preferred approach but one has to measure the cost.

PAPR- Used this system during some trainings and I love it. The up front cost is comparable to a small ambient pump with mask however as mentioned, the cartridges are pricey and need to be replaced regularly. Super good mobility and they can come with temperature control.

My Answer FWIW:
I'd switch it around a little-use a PAPR system with climate control in attics and crawls where mobility is important & use ambient hood for wall work.
Mike Asbra
Posted: Feb 15, 2011 06:34 AM
Consider the TN Chill Box. Dual Line usage, portable, 65 pounds. Free Flow system that can provide AIR CONDITIONED/HEATED ambient fresh air to either mask or hood applications. Chill factor to 46 degrees, winter use to 90 degree. 10 year proven track record in SW Florida, excellent warranty, 85 cfms at the manifold and plenty of current names and numbers of multi order customers. Affordable
tennesseechillbox@hotmail.com
423-710-1476

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.