Q&A Forums

requirements for spraying lap siding Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Jasson Fey
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 05:53 PM
requirements for spraying lap siding
I gave an estimate today and signed the customer up but the customer has 4" lap siding on a 100 year old home. You can see light through some of the slats. When i told the customer that something would have to be applied he told me no other company said for him to do that. my question is do you all include this in set up and what product should i recommend for this ie: tar paper, builders paper, ect..
thanks
Posted: Mar 21, 2007 07:19 PM
If there are a lot of spaces then you could use building paper or equal. If there are only a couple spots where there are spaces I would just tape them over and spray on top of that. No matter how careful you are you are still likely to gets some "squeeze out". It is the nature of the beast. That home is a great candidate for foam. If there is visible daylight you will seal up all those openings and really help reduce the air infiltration. I think the homeowners will be very happy!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
quentin
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 09:53 AM
Duct tape to the rescue!!!

If you can't fix it with wire, gum, duct tape and bungee cords then you are not creative enough. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist being a smart ass on this one. LOL
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 07:48 PM
Please tell me you are not using open-cell foam. Please...

Thanks,

olger
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 08:49 PM
Hey Olger, I'm game.

If the siding is old and has openings such as has been described then the potential for water leaking into the wall cavity is more than likely.

Therefore at least three inches of 2lb foam would be the proper application?

Leon
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 10:12 PM
I've sprayed foam in a unvented attic where I could see the vinyl siding from the inside on the gable ends. This was a old house with gaps in the boards also. When I got done I could see where the foam pushed out the siding in one spot. Thank goodness homeowner wasn't upset.

I used closed cell foam.
Jasson Fey
Posted: Mar 22, 2007 10:58 PM
yes olger open-cell but i think we came up with a good solution the home owner is having tyvek installed and let him fill the cavity and wrap the front of the studs and so and so on. on the bottom he is getting a siding guy to install flashing to take any moisture from the front of the tyvek away from the sill. what do you think???

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.