Q&A Forums

Remodel work Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Robert Dossett
Posted: Jun 07, 2007 03:29 PM
Remodel work
There is a lot of old homes (built in the 1920's and earlier) that can really benefit by injecting the walls with foam. I know the big I says use their foam, and I have researched enough to start doing doing it with a different .5 lb foam, what I don't know is what to do when there is old knob and tube wiring in the walls. I don't trust that old wiring when I can see it, as anyone had any experience with inspectors and these old homes?
mason
Posted: Jun 07, 2007 03:39 PM
Personally I have not had experience with injecting low density foam in houses with old style wiring. But, you want to make sure the wiring is in good shape and compliant with code. Ask your local building official before going forward with any retrofit of insulation in the cavity. Also, check with remodeling contractors in your area for their experiences and opinion.

As for injecting foam into a cavity, there are low density foams specifically designed for this type of application. Be sure to get good technical advice from your supplier before attempting it.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.