Q&A Forums

Re-Roofing Codes Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 05:03 PM
Re-Roofing Codes
Hi Mason,

One of the huge advantages we see with our foam roofs is when other contractors bid to tear off the roof and we bid a simple foam-over, we are significantly better priced.

It seems that the standard re-roof code is no more than two roofing systems before a tear-off. Have you encountered any cities/counties that will allow 3 roofs as their code. Or even better, anywhere that bases its system on weight.

I ask because I imagine this would be a very good market for foam roofers to be in.

Thanks,

Brian
Roof Crafters, Inc.
www.roofcrafterswest.com
mason
Posted: Sep 02, 2009 07:55 AM
The old Uniform Building Code used to allow a foam roof over 2 existing roof coverings so long as it could be determined that the original assembly was not water saturated and that the assembly was structurally intact and a good surfacing for sprayfoam. But when the ICC codes took over, that exemption was not carried forward.

I am not aware of any state or local code that allows the 3rd roof using sprayfoam.
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 08:18 PM
Hi Mason,

Thanks for the answer, one more variation on my original question.

Have you ever heard of a SPF roofing contractor partnering with a structural engineer to do project-by-project evaluations to specify that foaming over two roofs poses no structural problems on a re-roof job?

I know that lots of foam contractors just do a third roof, but I would love to find a way to be able to tell a customer that faces a tear-off that foam can prevent it.

Thanks,
Brian
www.roofcrafterswest.com
mason
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 06:23 AM
A building code official can at his discretion, allow alternative assemblies, products, materials or designs than what is prescribed in the codes. In order to gain approvals this way, you need to provide credible data from an unbiased source that is approved by the code official. So, give it a shot, if it doesn't cost too much.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.